Aluminum or wood deck bracing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomDweller

Reaction score
Looking for pluses and minuses of using aluminum vs. wood deck bracing. Also, is aluminum hard to work with? How easy is it to cut and what tools do you need to cut? I just have a hacksaw right now...assuming I'll need something more than this for cutting if I go the aluminum route...?

BottomDweller said:
Looking for pluses and minuses of using aluminum vs. wood deck bracing. Also, is aluminum hard to work with? How easy is it to cut and what tools do you need to cut? I just have a hacksaw right now...assuming I'll need something more than this for cutting if I go the aluminum route...?

Do a search and you will find all you need to know about wood verses aluminum.

Aluminum is corrosion resistant. Wood is not.

Aluminum is more expspensive than woood.

You can cut aluminum with a variety of tools.

the list goes on and on.

I would prefer aluminum bracing instead of wood. Wood will rot. Aluminum can be cut with a hack saw or circular saw or a saws all.

I've used a dremel with a reinforced cut-off wheel, goes through aluminum like butter and very easy to get controlled clean cuts.

Aluminum hands down if you're willing to spend a little more when comparing to wood; especially if you plan on keeping the boat.

Like others have said, cutting aluminum angle for bracing and aluminum sheets for other purposes can be done with an angle grinder and a cutting wheel, or a saws all with a skinny blade.

Then, buy yourself a rivet tool and go from there. You just predrill your holes, install the rivet, and the aluminum bracing will last a very long time. Just an example from our project, but you get the idea.

2-1.jpg

Any tool with a carbide cutter you would use on wood can be used on aluminum. This includes miter saws, circular saws, routers, table saws etc, etc. Many other tools that you wouldn't use a carbide blade for can be used for aluminum, with a minor blade swap, such as jig saws, recipro saws, etc. Really the only specialized tool is a rivet gun, and a good one can be gotten for less than 20 bucks, so I wouldn't call that a deal breaker.

When designed and used properly aluminum is lighter than wood, less prone to water damage (think rotting - no matter what sealer you use, if you keep the boat long enough, you will face rot issues) etc.

The only real advantage I can see with wood is it is somewhat cheaper, especially when using aluminum sheet and not plywood for the deck, like many do. Being that a boat is something you want, not need in life, I personally would think more folks would be willing to pay more to make it "better."

If ya can afford it go alluminum, I did alum bracing and wood deck, thought was this way I wasn't hit so hard in the wallet at once, I have yet to get a alum floor top. wood has been holding just fine, so no rush right now.

If money is an issue wood will work and has before, nothing terrible if ya go that way.

But :wink:

Latest posts