My Tracker Sportsman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelized

Reaction score
Well here's mine.Bought it for $425 a couple years ago as a bare boat.So far I've added a 40hp,made a side console from an old aluminum fuel tank.I removed the live well from the center seat so I could put the battery and fuel tank in there plus some storage.I'm just starting to lengthen the front deck a little for a nicer casting area.I building it out of aluminum.I hit the locaol scrap yard and for $40 I picked 2 pieces of 2x2 box,1 piece 1-1/2 box all about7 ft.Then I found a pile of aluminum construction signs to use for the decking.I hope to have it all ready for the spring striped bass run(they chase the herring from long island sound right up the CT river in early May) Here's some pics

Attachments

• IM000196.JPG
    IM000196.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 675
  • IM000197.JPG
    IM000197.JPG
  • IM000198.JPG
    IM000198.JPG
  • IM000199.JPG
    IM000199.JPG
Hey bud its good to see someone with the same boat as me. I was trying to decide wether I would put the supports for the deck on the small built in front deck or attach it to the edge like you did. Tell me what you think about it. Are you going to put vertical supports in? I was also thinking about putting some spray foam in the front cubby and maybe in the back area where there is empty space in the back deck. Im not sure if thats a good idea or not but I figure if theres space i don't plan to use why not make it more bouyant. I am gonna paint my beast first before I start construction so I am behind you but Im glad to see another tracker like mine. Way to be earth friendly and use old signs.
Later
Travis

I went to the edge with the front support to try to keep everything at the same level.I found that I liked the height of the front deck but there was no room to move,slight loss of balance and there is nowhere to step but down.I'm going to put in vertical supports,just trying to decide if I want one or two on the cross bars.With all the aluminum that's being used the deck will only add about 40-50 lbs and it won't rot.Once I'm happy with it I'll paint it with some anti-skid(I'm to messy for carpet).I can't wait to see how your project goes along.I had wondered what the tracker sportsman side console looked like.My console (homemade)is closer to the middle seat so I had something to mount it to.It is to far away to have a seat where yours is so I used to sit on a cooler while driving but finally mounted a seat on a post.
Mike

I forgot to ask you what saw/blade did you use to cut the aluminum tubing? Is is 1/8 or 1/4" thick? Are you pop riveting everything or are you using screws also?
Thanks
Travis

The blade I used was a 8-12 on a sawzall(it will chatter your teeth out).I would have been better off with a 14-18.The tube is 1/8 and 3/16 thick.
I used screws and rivets but the screws use the same size hole as the rivets in case I want to change them out.
Mike

Any progress? Mine is taking me alot longer than i thought, I don't know why I started this in early spring. I am almost to carpet and now have most everything I need.