how much leakage is acceptable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfarrands

Reaction score
I seem to take on abt 1 gallon per hour. Is this really bad? normal?
I plan on installing bilge pump this week, but may have to steelflex bottom in future.
Is this totally out of normal range?

Normal range would be no leaks. Whether or not it's "acceptable" is up to you.

On my boat, hell no. I like to fish, and not worry about flipping on the bilge pump to avoid sinking.

The only water I get in my boat is what splashes in. No gluvit or steelflex on the hull.

Wow, thanks guys. I'll definately take care of this soon. I was kind of thinking everyone scoops out some water every couple of hours. [-o<

I think it depends on the individual. I know plenty of boats that are pulled out on the ramp seem to be draining a whole lot of water from their plug at the end of the day.
I am on the side of high and dry as well though. I am not a fan of water in my boat.

I would love no water in my boat, but now it collects ALOT of water. One gallon every hour wouldn't be too bad. It's all what you feel is acceptible.

somme people call a gallon an hour wading.. no eak is acceptable.. did you check your rivits? they may need tightened

I guess I should have checked for leaks before I put the deck in. :oops: I'm not gonna pull it all out at this time of year, it's fishing time. But if I steelflex the bottom, won't that make checking rivets later impossible? or will the loose ones become apparent again after a season of use?

Attachments

• view from back.jpg
    view from back.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,660
Steelflex isn't going to keep a perfect seal if the rivets are really loose. I'd have to bet they'd eventually vibrate/break free and start allowing water in again. If the rivets aren't in too bad of shape, you can get away with it, but from my perspective it seems like you should rebuck the rivets, or seal them from the inside with some epoxy or something. However, this is just my opinion. People have had luck with gluvit and steelflex, but I'd rather fix the problem than throw 150 bucks worth of specialty paint at it.

With the decks in, your only option is to visually check the rivets from the outside. If it's apparent they need serious work, you're probably going to have to pull the decks out.

My old jon leaks quite a bit, as much as you describe. I'd prefer it not to leak but the boat is so old and beat up I just don't take the time to fix it correctly. I wouldn't worry about it unless it bothers you or your stuff gets wet. I've installed floors much like you have and I don't know the water is there until I pull out and take out the plug then the water pours out for a long time :D No biggie for me but it's about what you want in your boat....you're not going to sink if that's what you're worried about!

Thanks guys for all the input. As I was applying JB Weld along the main seam on the starboard side,( I figured it couldn't hurt) I noticed a 5/32 hole a couple of inches below the seam arond the middle of the boat. :oops: I guess my drill got away from me. I think this might explain some of the water. Temporary fixed it with silicone and a screw, and used up all my JBWeld around transom seam instead. Will float test this weekend, maybe won't install pump after all.

I own an older 1444 Monark Mod-V hull Jon boat. It has been beat to crap and back (from being a rental boat on the Mississippi) It leaks a little...maybe a few cups + in a day...gallons seem to be a little much...but like it has been said...whatever you can live with....I am ok with my small leak...but would not want to deal with leaking gallons....

I am currently deciding on keeping the Monark (pretty beat up and doing the complete restoration (step by step pics sure to appear here) or selling her and going with a 16 ft Landau Mad -V Jon with Console Steering I am currentley looking at. It already has some factory decking but any boat could always use a little personalizing (also pics sure to appear here)....just waing to here from the tax man...hopefully will be a good return....Not sure if the Landau leaks or not..have not got that far in the inspection....

I have to say I am in the same "boat" so to speak. I may be even a little worse than you, boat leaks quite a bit. At the present time I am going on the theory that as long as the bilge pump pumps faster than the water comes in I am ok. :mrgreen:

Bzalmano said:
I have to say I am in the same "boat" so to speak. I may be even a little worse than you, boat leaks quite a bit. At the present time I am going on the theory that as long as the bilge pump pumps faster than the water comes in I am ok. :mrgreen:

x2!

Bzalmano wrote:
I have to say I am in the same "boat" so to speak. I may be even a little worse than you, boat leaks quite a bit. At the present time I am going on the theory that as long as the bilge pump pumps faster than the water comes in I am ok.

All the more reason to make sure your battery is fully charged.... [-o<

Outdoorsman said:
Bzalmano wrote:
I have to say I am in the same "boat" so to speak. I may be even a little worse than you, boat leaks quite a bit. At the present time I am going on the theory that as long as the bilge pump pumps faster than the water comes in I am ok.

All the more reason to make sure your battery is fully charged.... [-o<

and [-o< that your pump never goes out on you.

You guys with leaks should double check your plugs and drain tubes. A somewhat loose plug or an out of round drain tube can let in a substantial amount of water.

Latest posts