Self Etching primer.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Reaction score
Close to Lake George, NY , Saratoga Lake.
Finally found it at Wallymart Auto part, applied today, then checked an hour later the hull had a gray dust like substance on it, I wiped a Tshirt on it , was the same gray as primer, went over the hull with cloth to clean up, is that normal,? the surface was prepped correctly.... tomorrow its on to Carters Duck paint , what an incredible piece of luck having 70+ weather up here for 4 days . Be able to apply one coat a day till Wednesday... Perfect. Last Year April 1st we still had snow...

Sounds like overspray. If you hold the can too far back, some of the paint dries too much before it gets to the surface, and won't adhere. Or, if it is too windy, even if you spray correctly you will find dried overspray downwind.

I think I would lightly wet sand with some 220 or 440 grit sand paper not to the bare metal. Then rinse good and let dry then wipe with a soft cloth.

Froggy said:
I am not sure wet sanding isnt counterproductive to the " tooth" a primer has to have to get the paint to adhere?
The dust is from holding the can a little too far away, but as I moved a little closer, I noticed that the primer will roughen up by itself after drying. So wash it down after it's dry just to see if you can remove the majority of it, or lightly wetsand like stated above.

As far as wetsanding, just read the back of the can, because there are certain time limitations when moving onto your top coat. Follow them to a "T", and it will come out looking great.

Latest posts