Flats, Coastal, Saltwater

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bzalmano

Reaction score
How many of you guys use your boats for saltwater fishing vs. fresh water fishing? I know my boat is designed to be a Bass boat but I intend on using it down in the 10000 Island area in the everglades. Anybody else use there bass boats for this use. Any sort of modification you make specifically for this use?

Make sure to get a zinc installed on the hull. Many freshwater hulls lack one. I do not consider myself knowledgeable on correct methods of zinc anode installation, but I can recommend a place to find said info, if no one else on here steps in. Wash the hull down after every use. If you get it while still wet, a good hose down will work. Other times, salt away, or a similar product is useful. Flush the motor after every use. Be pickier on hardware selection. NO copper or brass or any other copper alloy anywhere on the boat. Your electrical system will also be one of the first to show damage, so a good going over of that might be in order.

I personally prefer welded hulls in saltwater (when I ever get around to fixing the 14' Alumacraft I picked up for a song, the pictures will show why), but with proper maintenance, the riveted hull will be fine for a while.

When i lived in florida we never had a problem running the jons in salt. just wash um.

Didnt have any electronics on the boats eather though...

i love fishin down your way

As said, salt is an electronics eater.

If you do not have sealed wiring (which most home jobs and many factory jobs don't), you may be replacing it before long.

I have a buddy that took his to the salt on two consecutive years (and washed down) and has had to strip every bit of his factory wiring out and replace it. Another concern will be your trailer. If you have a tube trailer, those tubes will fill full of salt water and it will be next to impossible to get out unless you install some sort of flush fitting in each tube.

I run my boats about 99% of the time in saltwater. I've never had a saltwater related problem. I always hose mine down after every use and give it a good flushing. I use a rust inhibitor on my trolling motor just because it is a freshwater TM.

Keep a eye on your motors anodes. My 04' motor has needed them replaced twice which means that they are doing their job. Also you need to clean them once or twice a year too keep them working at a 100%. I also spray my whole engine block with Yammalube spray corrosion inhibitor a couple times a year. It keeps it looking new.

Latest posts