Best Paint Stripper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehusker

Reaction score
just got my first tinboat. 14' sears gamefisher.

the guy who had it before me tried to paint it and failed. there is some paint stuck to the rivets along the spine and some along the sides, not scrapeable by finger.

whats the best way to strip the remainder off?

Been here, I used paint stripper from walmart, put it on thick use a putty knife and it comes right off, but wear a resperator

I did the hole boat this way, you can see it in my build

Xylene or acetone works well if just from a rattle can. But aircraft stripper is the best paint stripper for aluminum I have found.

I also like the aircraft stripper, however, any type works well if you use a scrub brush to agitate it after 10-15 minutes of it being on, then leave it another 5-10 mins after that. Couple words of advice tho: although it is by far the best way that I have found to do it, you may want to consider wearing a full body Haz-Mat suit when you do. That stuff gets everywhere and it STINGS. But it beats the crap out of a wire wheel...

That's the truth. A wire wheel is a pain and it seems like it takes forever. Aircraft stripper is the best and you can pick it up at any auto parts store or hardware store.

when you use the aircraft stripper, what can you use to cover up registration numbers to ensure they aren't wrecked?

does the stripper blow out the seal of the rivets on the spine of the boat?

Yankeehusker said:
when you use the aircraft stripper, what can you use to cover up registration numbers to ensure they aren't wrecked?

does the stripper blow out the seal of the rivets on the spine of the boat?

1. I would just remove the registration # and replace after your done.
2. There rivets are aluminum on aluminum seal. Should effect your seal at all.

Latest posts