Launch etiquette...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Reaction score
Close to Lake George, NY , Saratoga Lake.
Guys, that my be a stupid question, but I know nothing about boat launches and fish alone, once you drop the boat you gotta get rid of the truck... you leave the Jon boat there drive up and come back right, meanwhile some guy with a pontoon boat drops next to you your boat floats away.... ( I had a dream about that the other day..)

It's funny that you ask this. This last weekend was the first time that I had to launch my boat by my self, and I pondered how I was going to handle this situation. Granted, I was on a electric only lake with no boat over 16" allowed. But I don't want to hold anyone else up There are signs explicitly stating that A} No fishing on the pier next too the ramp "Boat launching only" but no one adheres to that. and B} don’t strap your boat at the ramp, move as soon as you get it on the trailer. Which some people listen too.

The first day I had to ground the boat because there was too many people fishing on the "BOAT LAUNCH" dock the second day, there was hardly anyone there and no one on the dock so I took my Anchor, tossed it up on the dock then ran around before anyone else came up to the ramp and secured my boat to the cleats, then ran back down to the truck and parked, Didn't take but a minute to do so. I don't know if that is acceptable or not, but with no one there, it didn't interfere with anyone else’s fishing time.

I too would like to know what is right and what is wrong on this process.

Thanks in advance.

you did it rite rw

i drive up to the ramp out of anyones way, undo all the straps, launch the boat, tie it up then park the truck. When loading I tie the boat up out of the way, back the truck in then pull out of everyones way to strap up

dont be in a rush because somebodys waiting on you it will usually end up in you forgetting to do somthing. If there in that big of a hurry they can offer to lend you a hand

I Remove all straps, put in the plug, back in till it just starts to float, get out, unhook the bow, pull boat down around the end of the dock, tie it off, then park the truck. Takes maybe a total of 3 minutes.

Sorry I remove all the straps and put in the plug before I'm at the ramp, this way I'm far out of anyones way. And load almost the same, only I don't back in quite so far, this way when I winch it in the extra 4 feet it automatically centers up on the bunks. Works flawlessly for the 20 footer and also the the jon boat. Roller trailers are a diff. story, I don't like them.

When I fish by myself, I do one or two things depending on where I'm fishing.
For every situation though, I unhook all the straps except for the bow hook. I back on down, get the back into the water and unhook the bow. I tie the rope to the winch post, and back on down. The boat will only go back as far as the rope, then I slowly pull out (and I mean slowly) because you don't want the boat to run back up on your trailer. I stop and get the boat where I want it then do one of the following below:

You may want to start with a 25-30' rope, once you get used to it you can move down rope length. I use a 15' rope, so I don't get in the boat to take it off. I push the boat off, and maneuver it around to the dock if I can and tie it off. Then get in the truck and park - that doesn't take but a minute.
If it's windy, and I can't get it to the dock, I pull it out of the way of the ramp and beach it. I'll pull it up on the bank to where it won't go back in the water - and if there is a big boat coming in behind me, I'll take the anchor and throw it up on the shore while tied to the front of the boat.
If people are on the dock and they look a little shady (like my stuff looks better than theirs and they are eying it and the parking lot is a ways off) I'll still beach it.

I don't let anybody go ahead of me, period. I've waited in line just like them - and trust me, just because they have a $20-60K rig, it doesn't mean they can back down a ramp and launch any faster than you. Normally, it takes them longer - especially if they are alone. Most times if there are 2 guys, the guy who owns the boat pulls the boat with his truck... but he also drives the boat. So the guy who backs down the ramp is usually not as experienced in backing and it takes them forever.

Most people know what it's like when you get your first boat - it does take practice getting it in and out of the water. Everybody's been there, done that and most times they are graciously waiting... besides, a little humor is always good when you've been waiting a while. Trust me, they aren't laughing at you - they've been there too and just glad to see it's not just them when they started out.

Well Russ, if you read my last weeks endeavors, you know I gave them plenty to laugh about! :LOL2:

Thanks for all the input. Most of the time, it is my wife and I and we share in getting the job done, so it doesn't take that long, just a little odd for my first time doing it alone.

Loggerhead Mike said:
dont be in a rush because somebodys waiting on you it will usually end up in you forgetting to do somthing. If there in that big of a hurry they can offer to lend you a hand

+1....and always remember. The ramp is to Launch and Load you boat.

river_wolf said:
Well Russ, if you read my last weeks endeavors, you know I gave them plenty to laugh about! :LOL2:

Thanks for all the input. Most of the time, it is my wife and I and we share in getting the job done, so it doesn't take that long, just a little odd for my first time doing it alone.

I did see your post and chuckled a little bit - man, it still happens to me.

I've counted 6 times this year alone when I've forgot to put the plug back in the boat. My boat is a lot heavier than your's so just imagine me about 20' out from the shore (I jump in while pushing off) only to see that when I step off the front deck, water rushes up and covers my once dry feet. Then trying my best to get back to the shore while other's are already putting their boats in... talk about feeling like a dumbA... #-o :LOL2:

I get my boat ready to launch in the rigging area then drive to the ramp dump the boat in tie it to the doc then park the truck.
if someone is fishing from the doc that has no fishing posted they wind up moving
if you must beach your boat try to move it to the side of the ramp out of the others way.
take your anchor and drop it on the beach to prevent it from floating away

redbug said:
I get my boat ready to launch in the rigging area then drive to the ramp dump the boat in tie it to the doc then park the truck.
if someone is fishing from the doc that has no fishing posted they wind up moving
if you must beach your boat try to move it to the side of the ramp out of the others way.
take your anchor and drop it on the beach to prevent it from floating away

Ditto.

I go out of my way to launch at ramps with courtesy docks so that my boat isn't banging against the rocks from the boat wakes until I can get back to it.

If you are using a courtesy dock, try to tie your boat so that others can still get to it. Someone taking up the entire dock and then taking their sweet time about moving their tow vehicle is almost as bad as using the actual ramp to get their boat ready to launch or trailer.

I unstrap BEFORE i get to the ramp, leaving only the bow hook attached with about 5 feet of slack. Then back in on my turn and when the boat starts to float, i put the truck in park, take the boat to the dock and then park the truck.
On a bad day it takes no more than a couple minutes by myself. When i have someone with me, they back it in and I drive the boat. with my girlfriend, I usually back it right to the edge of the water and then jump in the boats and she backs it in the last couple feet.
Either way i spend VERY little time at the ramp

Nothing makes me more mad than watching people AT THE RAMP, putting the plug in, unstrapping, getting gear ready....etc.
There are signs at most of the lakes i go to that HAVE pull over spots specifically designed for this purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I unstrap and put all the gear in prior to getting to the ramp. I am just saying I feel that I am holding people up if I have to move the boat by my self and leave the truck there, but from what I have read here, I am doing it right.

Thanks for the input.

some of the ramps I use - you can't unhook any straps until your halfway in the water because of the steepness of the ramp... not to mention, if you have ultimate bunkboards on your trailer, your boat will slide right off with even the slightest incline of a ramp

take your time and do it like you want... people who get fussy with you taking precaution can kiss your big toe... it's not their money that your backing into the water - catch my drift?

If someone were to start getting fussy with me - I can guarantee you I'm going to have a problem somewhere in my boat that is going to take an extra 5 minutes to fix, and I won't be able to pull it off the ramp. One of my biggest concerns is to make sure my 20' of bow line strap is not wrapped over itself on the winch which would of course force me to unwind all of it and put it back on straight :twisted:

russ010 said:
haste gets you no where... patience is a virtue everyone should learn :wink:

Tell that to the 30+ other vehicles with their boats ready to drop in the water while they wait for the guy on the ramp to secure everything.

Many of the ramps and ramp parking lots on KY Lake turn into complete gridlock at certain times of the day because of the ramps being blocked.

I leave my bow strap attached until the boat is floating. I can unhook that as I climb in the boat to pull it over to the courtesy dock.

I think most people are talking about stopping on the ramp to remove transom or gunwale straps and loading all of your gear into or out of the boat while sitting in the middle of the ramp. That may not be a problem on low traffic ramps but it really is in other places. With the crappie run in full swing here, you can't even see the ramp from where you have to park your truck and trailer because of the volume of traffic on many days.