New Guy Title and Transom leak HELP!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingRust

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post and I just bought a 1432 Sears Jon Boat and it came with no title and the guy I bought it from bought it in a guys driveway 10 or 11 years ago like I did last week Also i noticed that there a pinhole size leak around the transom area how should I plug this?
Thanks
P.S. I live on a lake so I was pretty freaked out when I saw all this water in the boat :lol:

What is the pin hole from, corrosion? If it is just a small hole you can drill it out and place a blind pop rivit in it (one that will not leave a hole) along with a dab of silicone. Or you could even put a screw in the hole with a bit of silicone on it. However if it is corrosion then it will probably require a patch or a weld/braze job.

hossthehermit said:
Are you sure the leak in the transom isn't where you forgot to put the drain plug in???? Just askin'.

You wouldn't believe how many people I've talked to at the boat ramps who never figured that out...

But as far as the pin hole fix - I would get this stuff at Home Depot called "Aqua Mend". You can get it over in the paint section where all the glues and stuff are. You cut off a little bit, knead it up and then just put it on. Let it set for how ever long the cure time is, then you can sand it down smooth with the boat. You can do this on the interior of the boat if you don't want the cosmetic of the outside transom altered

Hey thanks everyone and yes I did put the drain plug in its small hole near the drain plug area of the transom. So I can use something called Aqua Mend? Would Jb Weld work
Also this boat has no title and it expired May of 1980 :lol: So is it possible to get one for it?
Thanks

Oh and the boat is so ugly I don't really care how it looks. My mom wont go on it cause shes afraid :roll:
Thanks

JB Weld does work but has a tendency to separate from the metal if there is any flex. In my experiences with it. I would recommend 3M's 5200. If prepared right, it will last.

I use the Aqua Mend to seal around all of my thru-hull fittings for my livewell pumps - and all the fittings in my livewell. And it doesn't leak. The good thing about this stuff is it comes in a plastic tube... you cut off with a knife the amount you need, then put the rest back in the tube to save to use at a later date - and it's just as strong then as when you first opened it up.

Only bad thing about the 3m 5200 (which is some awesome stuff)... once you open it - you only have a day or so to use the whole tube (according to the package). I didn't pay it any mind and used it again after a few months... it has yet to cure and that was 2 months ago...

As far as your title.... it is hard to say, considering each state has their own rules. Update your profile's location.

Water Weld (mad by JB Weld)[no relation to Allweld :LOL2: ] will work as well. Its made for marine applicatin just like what russ was talking about. As far as the title goes you find yourself in a pickle depending where you are. You should be able to locate the last registered owner through what ever governing body(in your state) that manages boat titleing and registration. In Texas you can go online and get his info for free. You then have to contact who ever was the "last" registered owner and have them fill out some official paperwork that has to be notorized and then set in. I would suspect that alot of other states are similar but without know your location its a crap shoot. Tell us where you are and some one in your area will ring in promptly to help. Good Luck.

If that boat hasn't been registered in 30 years its probably out of the system.
Personally, I would remove the CF #'s and just tell your local DMV that it was on a private pond and it has never been registered and there is no paperwork on it. Make up a phony bill of sale or something. Ask some locals if they know the best way to get around this.

It all depends on how your local DMV deals with boats. Here in CA it wouldn't be a problem but some states are a real pain to get something registered.

Whoopbass said:
If that boat hasn't been registered in 30 years its probably out of the system.
Personally, I would remove the CF #'s and just tell your local DMV that it was on a private pond and it has never been registered and there is no paperwork on it. Make up a phony bill of sale or something. Ask some locals if they know the best way to get around this.

It all depends on how your local DMV deals with boats. Here in CA it wouldn't be a problem but some states are a real pain to get something registered.

It's more difficult than that in NJ - I know from experience. ITS is the only way to go in some instances.

Hey everyone thanks for the help I should be getting the water weld tommorow (unless someone else already has plans :evil: ) can i get it at lowes? Oh and I can get a real bill of sale the guy lives down the street so its not that hard. I am also located in tampa FL if anyone knows anything about title I was talking to my uncle and he said that the dmv was a big pain when he had to register a boat he bought that was abandoned under the ocean :mrgreen:
Thanks
PS how do i change my location?

Latest posts