What size Trolling Motor do i need...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddupre

Reaction score
I have a 11' Coleman Crawdad. What size Motor would be sufficient. Looking for a small motor to conserve battery. Thanks.

I agree with dyeguy1212, but Cabela's has a MotorGuide® Bulldog Foot-Control Transom Mount-Trolling Motor - 40-lb. Thrust Item:UK-019615 for $389.99 that takes up hardly any space at all, making them ideal for smaller watercraft.

Just an idea, look at your budget and get what you can afford.

Doug

Would it be dumb to mount a trolling motor on the bow. That is what i have access too. what are the pros and cons of mounting on the bow vs stern

Bow mount would work as long as you can mount it properly. Stowing it might take up a bit of room, but thats okay because it will only be stowed when out of the water (this is all assuming its a foot controlled bow mount).

Either way, I prefer bow mounts. Easier to control the boat when pulling from the front, as opposed to pushing from the back.

Size wouldn't matter since you can run various speeds and conserve the battery that way.
Try and get a trolling motor made in the last 10 years since they have to be more efficient then older trolling motors.
Trolling motors with battery maximizers will cut your battery draw way down. They claim you can go 5X as long on a battery charge but its probably more like 2-3X as long. If you want a trolling motor with the maximizer built in then you have to buy a trolling motor with infinite variable speed control. Trolling motors that have 5 speeds or whatever do not have the maximizer feature.
Bow mount is the way to go as long as you can stand up in your rig and fish.

The problem with mounting a foot controlled on a crawdad is the front deck is plastic. unless you MOD it out with a wood front deck you will not have the support you need. Standing in a standard crawdad is another problem they are not very stable unless you MOD it out and that only helps a small amount.