Floor Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Reaction score
This is my first post and I would like to thank all for taking the time to read and respond.

I purchased a 1990 16' Lund Rebel that was in tough shape. The trailer needed to be redone as far as wiring, lights, wheel bearings, tires, jack and coupler. Now that that is done, the floor needs to be replaced as it is rotted through in spots. We removed the old floor and carpet yeaterday and cleaned the bilge. I found a local supplier of marine grade plywood and I will use a full sheet of 4' x 8' to replace the old floor. The question I have is what needs to be done with the plywood prior to installation?

Welcome Geezer! first off there is a search tool above, nexte to the Tinboat.net logo, use that and ask questions, you will find lots of answers, as far as wood, DO NOT use pressure treated, wood needs to be prepped with Thompsons water seal , several coats, thats about it!

Don't waste the money on marine grade. Not enough gain for the extra cost.

Thompson's water seal is good for sealing deck wood. Spar varnish is even better. I've used both with success, but might lean towards spar varnish in the future, depending on the usage.

'Course, you could always go with 'loominum, and have a perfect boat. :wink: