First time boat owner and grabbed myself a boat. :)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriegersa

Reaction score
hey guys I picked up a 14' flatbottom, and there are some leaks, not many just some, so i was wondering what yall use to fix up these leaks and also i was wondering if its possible to line-x the bottom of my boat? and if not is there anything out there that i could just roll that is similar to line-x that anyone has used? :LOL2:

I love the layouts of some of these boat, and i cant keep from looking at all the custom jobs. =P~

thanks for all the help in advanced.

-kriegersa

well, Im fairly new to old jon boats my self,,I had a few holes in mine and patched them up with marine tex stuff worked pertty good for me,,but I have learned of some other stufff on here called steel flex I haven't used it but Im going to give it a try it,,there lots of info on that stuff on here just search it,,hope some of this helps --have a great day :D -Robert

if it's leaking around rivets, then buck the rivets. Have someone on one side with a slege hammer against the rivet, then you on the other side with a regular hammer.. a few short taps goes a long way

I wouldn't put LineX or anything like that on the bottom.. it creates drag in the water, and if you're around any rocks or beach it alot, it won't last that long.

Steelflex is some good stuff... and it will stop all of your leaking problems 9 times out of 10.. a little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

russ010 said:
if it's leaking around rivets, then buck the rivets. Have someone on one side with a slege hammer against the rivet, then you on the other side with a regular hammer.. a few short taps goes a long way

I wouldn't put LineX or anything like that on the bottom.. it creates drag in the water, and if you're around any rocks or beach it alot, it won't last that long.

Steelflex is some good stuff... and it will stop all of your leaking problems 9 times out of 10.. a little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

has anyone heard of gluvit? if so is it like steelflex?

kriegersa said:
russ010 said:

has anyone heard of gluvit? if so is it like steelflex?

Gluvit for the inside - steelflex for the outside, can't lose. Just read the can and innerwebs on gluvit, plenty of stuff available to get you going. You have to tilt your boat, let it get into the seams, then paint whatever is exposed to the sun.

thanks guys for the help where could i get steel flex? is that at a hardware store or would i have to order it?