Help me ID this boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockfordhx

Reaction score
I picked this boat up off of craigslist and have completed rebuilding the trailer and am working on the interior.

Can someone help me ideniify the make of this jon boat? I cannot seem to find a similar shape anywhere and there are no tags anywhere on the boat.

thanks

4525238031_a6bfd3a0f7.jpg

4525238013_fb4c5ed599.jpg

I've seen an older crestliner(larson) that looks a little like that. Without your hull ID its really gonna be crapshoot. If it is registered you should beable to find out through you registering agency and find out.

here in Florida, if you dont have the hull number they will assign you a FLZ number when you register the boat. The guy I purchased it from had it registered as a homade boat (FLZ). and there is no hull number anywhere to be found.

It does run pretty fast and I like the shape. I just wish I could find out the make.

Anyone else?

You will have to excuse the ignorance but I thought V-hulls and flat bottoms were just types of Jon boats..

The length is 14' and it does have the oar mounts on each side near the middle seat.

The good thing about not knowing the make of the boat is now you can call it anything you want to. I would call it "The Blue Rocket" or "The Penetrator" :LOL2: Seems appropriate, given the streamlined shape of the boat.

Thats a cool boat you got there. I bet that 25hp really does well on it.

It might be that I am the ignorant one. I am from Wisconsin (which should make me smart :) ) and up here (I) always thought a "Jon" boat was the flat bottom type that went flat all the way up to the bow (front) I also (own) a Mod - V (Modified V) Hull Jon which has the flat bottom but a slight V-Hull in the front. then there is the V-Hull with the full V-Hull in the front with a more rounded edges on the bottom in the back. Jon boats will float in less water than a full V-Hull boats. How do people in the more southern areas veiw or discribe the different types of boats.??

By your pictures, it looks like you have a V-hull type boat. I could be wrong as the pictures do not show the actual bottom very well. I only made the observation trying to help with your desire to identify your boat.

She does look pretty sporty....

rockfordhx said:
You will have to excuse the ignorance but I thought V-hulls and flat bottoms were just types of Jon boats..

The length is 14' and it does have the oar mounts on each side near the middle seat.

You're right. Jon boats come in different hull types. Flat bottomed, V-Hulled, and a Modified V.

The first manufacturer that popped in my head when I saw the shot from the bow was Smokercraft. Take a peek at the mod pages and go through the V-Hull section and see if that helps.

Here ya go: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Good looking boat, and welcome to TinBoats.

Outdoorsman said:
It might be that I am the ignorant one. I am from Wisconsin (which should make me smart :) ) and up here (I) always thought a "Jon" boat was the flat bottom type that went flat all the way up to the bow (front) I also (own) a Mod - V (Modified V) Hull Jon which has the flat bottom but a slight V-Hull in the front. then there is the V-Hull with the full V-Hull in the front with a more rounded edges on the bottom in the back. Jon boats will float in less water than a full V-Hull boats. How do people in the more southern areas veiw or discribe the different types of boats.??

By your pictures, it looks like you have a V-hull type boat. I could be wrong as the pictures do not show the actual bottom very well. I only made the observation trying to help with your desire to identify your boat.

She does look pretty sporty....

We view them the same where I come from. And youre right, this particular boat is very unique. Ive never seen anything like it.

Seems like we were both right... (note the last line)....

Jon boat
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2009)

A Jon boat (or johnboat[1]) is a flat-bottomed boat constructed of aluminum or wood with one, two, or three bench seats. They are particularly useful for hunting due to the greater level of stability as compared with a V-hull aluminum boat. They are quite suitable for fishing as well. Because the hull of a Jon boat is nearly flat, it tends to ride over the waves rather than cut through them as a V-hull might, thus limiting the use of the boat to calmer waters. Jon boats typically have a transom onto which an outboard motor can be mounted. They are simple and easy to maintain, and inexpensive with many options to upgrade.

Jon boats are available commercially between 8 and 20 feet (6.1 m) long and 32 inches (810 mm) to 56 inches (1.4 m) wide, though custom sizes may be found. The simple design includes an open hull, without a bilge, leaving the ribs exposed. Many individuals choose to cover the ribs leaving a flat, level surface.

The Wasserwacht branch of the German Red Cross has chosen Jon boats for their civil protection units for use during floods.

In many places, small V-Hull boats can be considered Jon boats, too.

thanks everyone. I just figured that someone had seen this shape before. I like the boat, a bit shallow compared to other jons i have seen out there, but fun none the less.

no your both wrong, this is a pirate ship. According to a separate and very reputable wikipedia article, this type hull is definitely a pirate ship. :lol:

Latest posts