Mount seat base plates

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longjohn119

Reaction score
Mount seat base plates are always problematic in existing aluminum seats, sheet metal screws don't hold very well, especially if you are using a post and toggle bolts never seem to get good and tight.

I was wondering if anyone has tried 'well nuts' https://www.emhart.com/products/pop/wellnut.asp which are like trolling motor vibration mounts, to fasten base plates to aluminum seats? They aren't cheap ($1.39 each at Lowes for 1/4") but if they work it would be worth it

In case anyone cares I went with 1/4" rivets nuts recommended to my by several people on another site

Considering riv-nuts myself. Did you use the aluminum or yellowish steel riv-nuts. I think the steel riv-nuts are parkerized or something to help prevent rusting.

Well nuts and riv-nuts are all one piece. The back end (part below the surface) of well nuts expands as you tighten the bolt. Riv-nuts need to be installed with a special tool. This tool sort-a mushrooms the back side of the riv-nut. I have used riv-nuts to do other things on my project. Think I may use the 1/4" steel riv-nuts to install my ped seat plates. If that doesn't work then it would not be a problem to change over to toggle bolts or make some sort of access so I can do traditional nuts and bolts.

rellis1962 said:
Well nuts and riv-nuts are all one piece. The back end (part below the surface) of well nuts expands as you tighten the bolt. Riv-nuts need to be installed with a special tool. This tool sort-a mushrooms the back side of the riv-nut. I have used riv-nuts to do other things on my project. Think I may use the 1/4" steel riv-nuts to install my ped seat plates. If that doesn't work then it would not be a problem to change over to toggle bolts or make some sort of access so I can do traditional nuts and bolts.

I havn't had any trouble with just using screws through the wood and then through the aluminum, however without the wood I think there would be a problem.

Wood plate between the aluminum bench seat and mounting plate sounds like a good idea. My boat is made of .10" thick Al - almost 1/8" so it may hold the bolts/screws a little better. I am sure the wood would help distribute the forces over a larger area and maybe result in less stress on the mounting bolts/holes. :?:

rellis1962 said:
Wood plate between the aluminum bench seat and mounting plate sounds like a good idea. My boat is made of .10" thick Al - almost 1/8" so it may hold the bolts/screws a little better. I am sure the wood would help distribute the forces over a larger area and maybe result in less stress on the mounting bolts/holes. :?:

Thats right. Mine hasnt moved but i have a much larger deck. Yours should be fine.

I have had good luck on several boats by using sheet metal screws and a marine sealant like 3M 5200 or the 3M 4200. The stuff makes a very strong bond with the aluminum. Rough up the area, clean with alcohol or acetone, put down the sealant, and screw the mount down with Stainless #12 or # 14 screws.

What I did on my last build was to use a piece of plywood on the bottom side of the seat, then I ran long carriage bolts thru the seat mount, the aluminum bench, and the plywood. It held up great for a very long time.

I was originally going to build a wood box to connect to, but I found a good deal on 1/4" aluminum plates for my flooring and decking, which should hold up just fine :mrgreen: