back from winter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
Well, back from the terrible winter we had. Believe me, I have been looking and scouting all kinds of boats. right now, I am really pulling for this 1971 15 foot Silverline TriHull with a 50 hp Evinrude, trailer, and title. 250. yup. $250.

Either its the great Fishing Gods giving me a shot at a boat, or stolen. (just kidding, it was the guy's brothers that he doesn't have time for anymore) Either way, a running 50 horse Evinrude and a Trihull sounds like a pretty mean fish n' ski setup. (My Ideal Rig.) No floor, falling apart windshields, rotten stringers, minor cracks, and a classic-looking boat needing a home. I think I should jump on it. anyone reject? suggestions? The trailer needs serious work, too.

The model and specs can be seen here: https://www.silverlineboats.org/1971-13.jpg

I reject. Are you sure you got the time, skills and more importantly $$$ to make it water and road safe? In the end, all the money you would have spent, you probably could of gotten something better/newer.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

...hmmmmm.... Good point. He said that it didn't leak, and the trailer only needs new tires and possibly lights. By saying "bad shape" I think I gave the wrong impression. New bearings, tires, paint, and registration is basically all that needs to be done from what I saw. The boat however, I think it's in pretty decent shape for the money.
My idea is to, much like replacing a transom, rip out the old stringers, add new ones, and have that as my foundation. Do those need to be fiberglassed?
Other than that, my dad and I make a pretty good team with ingeniousity (not a word) and creativity. We've done some pretty cool stuff in th past.

Is steelflex an option for glass boats?

Mathematically it makes sense. Think about it; it already has a motor, there's 400-600 saved right there. A trailer and title for the boat, there's another at least 300 saved. I need some wood and some 5200 and I think I could create a nice little rig, IMO.

If I didn't buy this one, I'd probably get a smaller aluminum that's too unstable for anything I'd want it to do. Plus a motor, trailer, and title.

Thanks guys, now I'm second guessing myself! Lol thanks for your opions though. You have way more experience with this kind of thing than me.

I'm good at fiberglass and I'm good with woodworking. I would not buy a glass boat in need of a transom. Ask Rat he does it for a living. If a transom rebuild was easy it wouldn't cost in upwards of $1,500.00 to even think about a repair shop to do. Now for $250 buy it trash the boat, fix up the trailer and sell it for $500.00 to double your money, and buy the right boat.

bandgeek1263 said:
The transom is solid however.

sorry, I tend to speed read, and read that as transom was bad.......I'd go for it as the stringers are much easier to do than the transom.

My thoughts exactly. Is everyone just trying to get me to go aluminum because they're easier? I don't care about how hard it is to create a nice boat for me, especially because its a fiberglass TriHull (extremely stable, correct?) This boat also has a running evinrude 2 stroke. It does 30+, and would be a perfect to tool around and fish from.

Anyone have experience with these types of boats? And/or how they like them, performance, level of difficulty, etc....?

Get it just for the motor. If the boat and trailer are serviceable so much better.

If the motor is the original 1971 50 hp, don't buy it for the motor. Those stupid things had a hyroelectric shift on them, and it is only a matter of "when," not "if" the shift solenoids die, and they aren't made anymore, by anybody.

Is everyone just trying to get me to go aluminum because they're easier?

No, because their better, for something of this nature.

*Disclaimer - all generalized statements regarding fiberglass boats are to be directed at fiberglass of a similar age as the one mentioned in post number 1, NOT modern fiberglass boats.* (Some of y'all might remember a post last fall where I made generalized statements about fiberglass boats, intending them to be taken only in regard to older ones, then got my tail handed to me when many of my statements were refuted by facts from brand new rigs, of which the technology hadn't yet been discovered back in 1975).

Basically, you will be pouring money into a boat with no value. That's right, no value. I can show you about 10 on the atlanta craiglist people haven't been able to GIVE away. With an aluminum boat, there is ALWAYS some value. Even if you wreck it beyond repair, there will always be scrap value.

On these older fiberglass boats (remember the disclaimer, Rat :lol: ), the UV takes a serious toll on the materials of the boat. The gel coat is first to go, then the actual fiberglass starts to break down. UV doesn't do much of anything to an aluminum rig except fade the paint.

Older fiberglass boats are built around wood, encasing it with mat and resin. Water WILL get inside the glass (water will get into anywhere), and be trapped, rotting the wood out. Rot is bad news for boats of this nature. Aluminum boats don't have that problem. With the exception of the transom, which is still isn't encased with something that will trap water in, the structure of the hull isn't going to rot away. You can do whatever you want with the interior layout, but the majority of the structure of the hull is going to be sound (as far as water damage is concerned - abuse and wrecks obviously are going to be an issue, but they would be the same issue in both rigs, so I call that a moot point.

A full out restoration down to the stringers is a walk in the park, and is not cheap. What people (myself included) have no idea of, before their first boat project, is how they will nickle and dime you do death. You look at what you do have to spend or don't spend, then you get to all the little things that are 20 bucks here, 10 here, 25 for this or that, and they add up to several hundred very quickly, before you even start thinking about getting to the stuff you want for the boat. You're still paying for the stuff you need for the boat.

Is steelflex an option for glass boats?

If your boat is at the point at which you think steelflex might help, you really need to take it to the landfill. While I wouldn't personally use steelflex on any of my rigs (I prefer to fix a problem, not put a bandaid over it) it is much better suited for aluminum boats where you have thousands of rivets and seams, not a glass boat, where you have no rivets or seams to loosen up. If you've got a leak on a glass boat, something hasn't loosened up, somethings broken.

Think about it; it already has a motor, there's 400-600 saved right there.

That motor isn't worth 400. Highest I've seen one of those go for is 250, and that is with a stainless prop. I've sold one for 150, for parts.

We're not saying you can't create a nice boat with it. With enough work, and more importantly, a large enough wallet, you can. But, time and money wise, you would be much better off looking for something else, and I'm not necessarily saying aluminum either. A better condition glass boat might fit your needs, but I doubt that is the one you are looking for.

Now, I do know people who restore the older glass boats, but their goal is almost always to restore the boat, not have a nice boat at the end. They know they could buy a used one cheaper than restoring the free one, but their hobby is the actual work on the boat, so they don't mind.

Latest posts