Quick question on Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick4634

Reaction score
So Im putting a new transom in my 14' deep v starcraft and the old one was 1.5 inch thick so I figured I would put two pieces of 3/4 marine grade and glue them together with ?

Yes....
minicuda said:
fiberglass would be the best way to laminate them together.

Fiberglassing them is the best case senario, but you still have to glue the two pieces of 3/4" together, before fiberglassing them. Laminating would be glueing them together.

perchin said:
Yes....
minicuda said:

Fiberglassing them is the best case senario, but you still have to glue the two pieces of 3/4" together, before fiberglassing them. Laminating would be glueing them together.

Not entirely accurate. You can fiberglass the two pieces of 3/4 together. Cut to fit both boards, lay a mat of fiberglass on one board and wet out with resin, and then either screw the two boards together or clamp them or lay on the concrete with some weight on them, like car batteries.

We used to do this years ago when we did wood transoms. Now we do solid poured fiberglass transom's....they last forever!

huntinfool said:
perchin said:
Yes....
minicuda said:

Not entirely accurate. You can fiberglass the two pieces of 3/4 together. Cut to fit both boards, lay a mat of fiberglass on one board and wet out with resin, and then either screw the two boards together or clamp them or lay on the concrete with some weight on them, like car batteries.

We used to do this years ago when we did wood transoms. Now we do solid poured fiberglass transom's....they last forever!

Interesting..... I would love to see a step by step of that, I'm going to be doing mine soon, and would think that the fiberglass would last longer than glue anyhow.
Thanks man, can you steer me in the right direction?

What they are talking about is Epoxy Resin. If you wanted to you could put a piece of fiberglass cloth between the layers of plywood. Using Tite bond III to glue the two pieces of plywood would work just fine.

Don't use cloth, use stranded mat. It is much stronger. You can use either polyester resin or epoxy.

Perchin, what exactly did you want step by step on? Putting a wood transom with glass on it or a solid glass poured transom?

huntinfool said:
Don't use cloth, use stranded mat. It is much stronger. You can use either polyester resin or epoxy.

Perchin, what exactly did you want step by step on? Putting a wood transom with glass on it or a solid glass poured transom?

A solid glass poured transom..... I've already done a fair amont of fiberglass work, but am no expert. Is this something that can be achieved at home?

You could use seacast, but we make our own and it is MUCH stronger than seacast. Seacast uses pounded glass and it is not near as strong.

I have been contemplating doing this. I just poured one and I think I have all the pics needed, so yes I can do it. Give me some time to get them all resized and ready.

huntinfool said:
You could use seacast, but we make our own and it is MUCH stronger than seacast. Seacast uses pounded glass and it is not near as strong.

I have been contemplating doing this. I just poured one and I think I have all the pics needed, so yes I can do it. Give me some time to get them all resized and ready.

That would be greatly apprieciated :D

Latest posts