Trailer Problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
Well took my tin to Allatoona this weekend and she did fine. I was taking her around to the boat ramp while my brother in law was driving my truck over there and I get there to find out that my sister had rear ended my trailor. She was busy not paying attention and trying to apease a crying one year old and bam! The only damage was a busted out tail light and a broken mountain bike I set on there to but in the boat after it was trailered.

There is a little frame damage on the trailor, the neck of the trailor is slightly bent where it connects to the piece that squares out and holds the wheels. All it needs is to be is bent back the other way. There are no breaks or crakes just a little bending, how would i do this. Does it need to get really hot and then bend it back straight.

It pulled fine all the way home but rides a little to the left side of the lane now. Oh and the lights shortted out from getting wet. Anybody got any reccomendations?

JASON

Had to use a PDF, its above, just click ont he link. Its not the actual trailer but what happened. and the bend isnt that sharp either.

Keep a watchful eye when bending back.Look for any signs of metal fatigue.When using heat you have to be careful that you don't stretch the metal too much.Don't concentrate your heat in one spot.Spread it out say 3 to 4 inches.Hope this helps.

crazymanme2 said:
Keep a watchful eye when bending back.Look for any signs of metal fatigue.When using heat you have to be careful that you don't stretch the metal too much.Don't concentrate your heat in one spot.Spread it out say 3 to 4 inches.Hope this helps.

Thanks, should I be able to get it hot enough with a propane torch?

Troutman3000 said:
crazymanme2 said:

Doubtful. You will need a big torch, and really spread out the heat.

did it make any difference in pulling the boat home? like did it want to pull to one side of the road and you had to correct the truck to get it back in line?

russ010 said:
did it make any difference in pulling the boat home? like did it want to pull to one side of the road and you had to correct the truck to get it back in line?

No difference at all really. I didnt have any shaking or anything. Pulled just as good. I just have to put the boat on crooked for it to line up with the wench and all.

Before I could never seet the trailer while driving, now I can see it on my drivers side door window. Im not sure if tis pushing the truck to one side or the other though.

huntinfool said:
Troutman3000 said:
crazymanme2 said:

Doubtful. You will need a big torch, and really spread out the heat.

What kind of shop could do this for me? Anybody with a decent sized welder.

personally I wouldn't bother with it, but that's me and only if it's not pulling or you are having to correct it. The only thing with not fixing it is that you will probably go through tires a lot quicker because you are literally dragging the trailer instead of pulling it - sounds odd, but it's still ok, just short lived.

You can find a machine shop or someone who welds. The best thing would be for them to cut the tongue off and reinforce it where they cut at (basically where it's bent). You'll definitely have a stronger trailer after that and probably wouldn't cost more than $50-100 to fix.

russ010 said:
personally I wouldn't bother with it, but that's me and only if it's not pulling or you are having to correct it. The only thing with not fixing it is that you will probably go through tires a lot quicker because you are literally dragging the trailer instead of pulling it - sounds odd, but it's still ok, just short lived.

You can find a machine shop or someone who welds. The best thing would be for them to cut the tongue off and reinforce it where they cut at (basically where it's bent). You'll definitely have a stronger trailer after that and probably wouldn't cost more than $50-100 to fix.

You know any locals that could do it?

Thanks,

Jason

check with Brine - I think he knows some in your area... I haven't had to do anything like that - but I do need to do something with my trailer - I've got a bad bend, but mine is a pressure bend going downwards where the tongue meets the frame caused by the load on the front of my boat

So strange- this is basically what I am looking at doing on my trailer (and none of you responded in my thread, no soup for you), except that my bend is near the winch post in the middle of the tongue. The guy said he never felt the bend when trailering it. I am going to see if I can tell, if not, I may just leave it for now and get it all bent back when summer is over.

Latest posts