Need Advice on painting a 14'6 fiberglass v-hull?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neveraseven

Reaction score
I was restoring an old fiberglass v and wanted to know what would be the best paint to use. I live in Florida so It will be in saltwater. The hull was painted a few times so should I strip it down or just sand it out best I can? I went to the local store and the guys there recommended Interlux polyurathane but it was expensive and I dont know how much I would need. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most fiberglass hulls are gelcoated. I would gather that if you used a paint stripper you might take it down to the original gelcoat. If that is the case then you should be able to wet sand and buff it out and get it to shine. However if it was sanded down and then painted you will just need to sand it back down and then apply what ever paint you choose. I personally would prefer the gelcoat.

Thanks I have decided to go with a bottom paint and a polyurathane for the sides. The gelcoat was in bad shape and I sanded it down to the fiberglass almost. Appreciate the reccomendation.

Latest posts