clear coat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what type of paint your spraying...... In automotive its needed as the protective layer and to brighten and gloss the base coat. If your spraying say Rust-oleum satin or gloss, then it would be a waste of time to hit it with Clear coat.

Overall it seems like a bad idea because for the most part I'd have to guess a clear coat is going to dry really hard (like an automotive clear coat) and is going to crack as the hull flexes.

dyeguy1212 said:
Overall it seems like a bad idea because for the most part I'd have to guess a clear coat is going to dry really hard (like an automotive clear coat) and is going to crack as the hull flexes.

I have used clear coat in spray bombs and it doesnt really dry hard. Shouldnt be any different from the gloss in normal spray paint, right.

dyeguy1212 said:

I disagree with it cracking. Next time you see a dent in an automobile, look at it and chances are there are no cracks in the clearcoat.... Ive personally pulled apart doors with dents from the inside and pushed them out.....<-------------- no damage left behind. I've also used clear-coat on an old bow.... It bends every time it was pulled without any cracking. Just my humble opinion...... seems I have to specify lately....not trying to argue.

Its not going to crack every time.. its about the constant flex that an aluminum hull goes through when under power. I've talked to a few auto painters about it and all of them have said not a chance.

wierd....... considering the local body shop does a fair amount of race boats round here. I guess they might be using something special though? I'm not an expert in the physics of tinsel strength of clearcoat. :)

perchin said:
dyeguy1212 said:

I disagree with it cracking. Next time you see a dent in an automobile, look at it and chances are there are no cracks in the clearcoat.... Ive personally pulled apart doors with dents from the inside and pushed them out.....<-------------- no damage left behind. I've also used clear-coat on an old bow.... It bends every time it was pulled without any cracking. Just my humble opinion...... seems I have to specify lately....not trying to argue.

:lol:

well thanks for the responses...

is there anyone on here who has actually used one? I'm just curious more than anything mainly because I am planning on priming the boat, then I'm going to tape off a pinstripe along the side and just leave it primer gray and wanted it to be as glossy as the topcoat. Or who cares...its not a showboat haha

it will work.. I've seen it done on a few jons around here and it worked fine. I think they used spray bombs to do it too. Just be careful that you don't get any runs but it will work just fine.

I go over the stickers I put on my boat with it. I painted one boat a few years ago and used a clear coat made for marine paint. Don't ask me what it was though - the can didn't have a label on it... it was something my uncle gave me that he used to paint tractors with. My guess is it was something from the auto stores that sell paint.

Latest posts