Transome rivets and alluminum tubing and angle.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john110

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong catagory, Mods please move to the correct area that this topic is needed.

This is my first mod that I did not know that I was going to do untill I ran across this site. Thanks. HaHa. My wife just bought me a 1971 14/48 Polarkraft jon boat with an Evenrude 35hp made in 1984 for my birthday :) The transom is in need of some work so I want to replace it the problem that I am having is figuring out what rivets to replace the old ones with. I want to get all of the material together before I start so that I do not start and then have to wait a week or two. The other thing that is needed is where to buy alluminum tubing and angle so that I do not pay out the roof like at Home Depot or Lowes. I would post pics but I do not know how so if someone would tell me how or pm me with instruction I would appreciate it.

Just read on another site that I can use stainless nuts and bolts instead of rivets. Which way would you all go rivets or nuts and bolts with some sort of sealant. If this is ok then I might go this route being that I do not own any rivet tools.

Hey John,

Welcome to TinBoats. I moved your post to the Boat House.

Yes, you can use stainless nuts and bolts. 3M 5200 Marine Sealant is a popular choice in sealant products. Just google any metal suppliers around you, and I'm sure you'll find someone, and yes....the big box retailers is not the place to buy it in quantity. Metal Supermarkets have a presence throughout the country.

Update your profile to show where you live, and someone from the board may already have a contact for you.

There are a few ways to post pics. You can use a site like Photobucket to store the pics then copy them here, or use the gallery within the site.

Here is a link for the gallery https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2

or read here: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3664

Brine

Welcome John! Congrats on the birthday present; sounds like your wife struck gold with the boat =D>

As far as the transom is concerned, a picture would certainly help aid in suggestions. Every boat is different, so if you can, take a picture.

I suggest signing up for a "photobucket" account here: https://photobucket.com/.
1. You upload the picture
2. Copy the IMG code that you will see below the picture, into your message here on TinBoats
3. It automatically shows up here as long as you don't delete it out of your photobucket account.

After you get some pics up, you'll notice a big difference in replies. Lots of great guys here with some impressive talent. Keep us updated and we'll be sure to help you out.

Update: I created a "How-to" post pictures from Photobucket. Click the link right above my signature picture, and follow the steps. Then we can see what you're working with.

Thanks for moving it for me and I will update my profile in a moment. This morning I tried to take the tires and wheels off the trailer and broke off the first lug bolt I tried to take off. DARN. So I fixed the lug and then took it to my brother in laws shop so that he can replace all the lug bolts and nuts. The tires are dry rotting so I am going to have him change the tires also. Good time for him to do this being I will be in Dallas all week training and will not have time to work on the boat. So it will be a while till I can post up some pics. This project will not be able to start for a month or so due to I am selling my home and buying another one. This is not the most enjoyable experince every one said it would be. I am just going to stockpile all the supplies untill I can dedicate time to the boat and only the boat with out to many interuptions.

Thanks for all the help and will try to post pics as soon as possable.