Boat painting questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Toadslayer

Reaction score
First off, this site is great. I am thoroughly impressed by just about all of the projects I've seen done so far, some real nice work. I hope that one day I will be able to contribute but I need to equip my garage with some tools first. On that note, my questions. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a set up for painting, like a spray gun and compressor with the intentions of painting my 4 aluminum boats and 1 trailer. Problem is, I know next to nothing about what to look for. I know I could spend a bunch of time researching on the net but I was kind of hoping I could get pointed in the right direction here since it's tin boat related. My budget.... well like most people I like a good deal but I also know the value of good tools so I'm not afraid to spend. Any info would be useful and appreciated.
I haven't update my profile but for those who care, I'm a 38 yr. old father of 3 (with a new one on the way), married to a wife who brings home the bacon, I live in upstate NY and I love to fish for bass, both smallies and largemouth.
Thanks in advance.

Well, like anything else, you get what you pay for... I have a 150psi air compressor that I got as a combo deal from Home Depot with 3 nail guns. I think I paid $100 for that because I got it when it was on sale.

For the sprayer, I bought it at Home Depot too - I got a Husky Gravity Fed sprayer. https://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Pai...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053... I have some of the other spray guns that hold more paint and aren't gravity fed, but man this thing works like a top.

If you look through some of my posts on the 1236 Alumcraft I did (I think it's called 1236 Alumacraft Makeover over on the modification page), I went through all the settings I had my air compressor set up and the ratio mixture of paint and spray thinner.

Welcome to the site man! Glad to have you aboard!

Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies, when I say I appreciate it, I really do mean it. I'll probably be pestering you in the future when I'm ready to paint, looking for tips and whatnot. I have zero experience with thinning and quantities and techniques but I'm a fast learner. I just bought a 14' Jon with a trailer off of Craigslist for $250. The boat is dirty and has some leaks but the trailer is in pretty good shape (new in 2002). Every time I bring the dogs outside I look at the boat and I'm just itching to start cleaning it up. I excited about getting all this rolling, it's not gonna be for a bit yet as I have to finish a room in the house that I'm working on. Those unwritten deals with the wife, finish the room that she's been on my butt about for the past 6+ months before I dare start messin with the boat that I bought less than a week ago [-X .
So Russ can you use that paint gun for say finishing wood as well or is it just for paint? It's looking like I may get away with spending less than I had initially thought, even the Rockler that Wrench linked doesn't seem too steep.
Anyway, thanks again fellas.

Welcome aboard! I think you will like it here. I can't help you with your particular problem simply because I haven't painted my boats. I like the rugged look of dirty aluminum. There is something that is just manly (or maybe redneck come to think of it) about a dirty aluminum boat. :lol:

Latest posts