new to the site a question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman98us

Reaction score
hello, i am new here. i am wanting to do a modification. i went out and bought what i thought was a 1436 jon boat flat bottom but it is a 1432. my question is will i be able to put a deck on this boat and be safe. I live in utah and go to so good size lakes that can get chopy at times. my other option is my freind has a 14 foot v bottom that he will trade me. Should i trade and go with a v-haul and put a deck in that? i am a little lost right now.
My other question is whitch one is safer and what can handle the most waight.

I've seen 1432 boats decked all the way to the top - but they aren't fishing choppy lakes. Granted, it gets choppy, but not like what you are likely to see on big waters.

To be safe in that boat, you can put a floor deck in with raised seats, but that's about it... they are top heavy so you can stand, but you don't want to "rock" the boat too much.

Personally I would trade off for the V... a little more stability and probably wider than the jon you have now

I'm new as well but I've done lots of reading about this. I'm in the same situation as you and I've decided to add the decks but keep them low (maybe 3 inches off the deck) except for the very front. Them I'll put in storage where the seat areas are and flotation under the decks.

Hope this gives you an idea. Use the search function to get ideas or do like I did and spend days going from one page to the next to the next to the.....well you get the idea. :wink:

For the front deck - it's pretty stable if you start the deck at the bottom of the very front bench (the bench where you would have like a trolling motor set up) and run it back to the middle bench. That's bout 4" lower than the top of the middle bench. I did this in my 1232 at my parents house that I fish out of and it does just fine. I can stand there and fish all day.

In the middle section between the middle bench and the rear bench I just laid a piece of carpeted ply over the ribs. That is where I fish from the majority of the time since I usually fish by myself in that boat. Plenty stable for fishing alone

I decked my alumacraft up almost to the top, level with the benches.. It seems to do OK.. but I wont take it out on big water, just small lakes around where I live. Check my Alumacraft build thread..

Welcome fireman! I'm fairly new to this site too. Where in Utah do you live and what lakes are you plannig on fishing? I've got a 14 ft. V that is in the works. If it were me, I'd make the trade. 32" isn't very wide, I bet the V you're looking at is at least 40-48". Good to have another Utahn on the site. :D

i live in northern utah up by park city. I am thinking i am going to trade for the v-haul and i was going to put a deck on that about level with the seats.

Sounds good. I'm down in St. George. I added front and rear decks to my 14 footer to target the bass down here at Sand Hallow and Quail Creek. You can check out my mod, if you want, by clicking on the link below. It's definitely not the best on here but it serves its purpose for me. It's funny, I was scowering ksl.com and saw a 1432 for sale in Heber, is that yours? What lakes are you planning on fishing?

yea thats mine i was trying to sell it first before i trade because i found a i want to say 1436 like i was looking for. but i have to sell this one first. if i cant then i am going to trade it.

sorry i didnt read the whole post. i am planning on fishinf deer creek and jordenelle and probably curent creek. i did look at your boat that is nice. I am planning on framing everything out of aluminum angle to keep the weight down. but it is going to look similar to yours

I wish I would've used aluminum but I just have no idea how to work with that stuff so wood seemed like an easier choice. When I have to redo it in the future I'm going the aluminum route i think. Good luck fishing up there, let me know how it is.

Latest posts