1648 Landau Reincarnation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSUfisher

Reaction score
Hey guys I got directed to this site from another and really like it, especially all the ingenuity and creative builds.

I already own two fiberglass boats, but have really wanted a cheap, sturdy jon to mess around in and spank oyster bars, logs and such with. There's this little lake in Lake City, FL where I lived until a couple of weeks ago that I fished every so often.

02012009719-1.jpg

One of the docks had such a boat half-sunk underneath it due to neglect and filling with rainwater. After months of dreaming I finally got the nerve to confront the homeowner with a lot of help from my old neighbor. A few days later, I had my first tin can for $100 cash. I wish I had pictures of when we dragged it out of the lake- it was a story. The boat weighed a ton and had a fish and mussel hatchery in it.

The pictures below show some of the progress so far, which has really been limited to cleaning and grinding with a wire wheel. i have also primed most of the boat with Krylon, which I don't know yet was a good idea or not.

I got it home on my neighbor's trailer and angled it to get some of the water and crud out. It was in rough shape, but I have a good imagination: :lol:

02012009972-1.jpg

I liked the decals but unfortunately they had to go when grinding:

02012009973.jpg

She's nasty:

02012009974-1.jpg

This is what it looked like during the heavy cleaning inside. The EPA may be after me for what that front yard turned into:

02012009981-1.jpg

I yanked the flotation out of the front as it was completely ruined. I cleaned up the flotation under the other bench seats and hope what's left will do:

02012009983-1.jpg

The inside all nice and white with primer:

02012009988-1-1.jpg

I will take some more pictures of the outside tomorrow as I tackle the grinding on the transom. The plan is to incorporate false floors and more decking with marine carpet and incorporate some marine junk I've got laying around. Right now I think I may use a stencil I made to camouflage the outside with spray paint, unless anyone has better ideas for (cheap) paint. I hope for this to be a very low-cost skiff.

A good vinyl graphics shop should be able to make new decals from the picture.

ober51 said:
Good stuff - are you going to rebuild the transom? It must be shot, no?

I just took the grinder to the outside of the transom today, and while doing so began to rethink how bad the wood inside may be. Luckily, the only thing above the water line in the whole boat was the transom itself, but I'm afraid it may be soft. At this point I may let it be as there are no immediate plans for a motor,and I'll probably put nothing bigger than a 25 2-smoker on it when I do. It's rated for 35 hp. I'd like to tackle it but fear the only way to fix it would be to torch the aluminum off and re-tig it after replacing the wood. I don't have a tig welder and that could be very costly. Any suggestions???

FSUfisher said:
ober51 said:
Good stuff - are you going to rebuild the transom? It must be shot, no?

I just took the grinder to the outside of the transom today, and while doing so began to rethink how bad the wood inside may be. Luckily, the only thing above the water line in the whole boat was the transom itself, but I'm afraid it may be soft. At this point I may let it be as there are no immediate plans for a motor,and I'll probably put nothing bigger than a 25 2-smoker on it when I do. It's rated for 35 hp. I'd like to tackle it but fear the only way to fix it would be to torch the aluminum off and re-tig it after replacing the wood. I don't have a tig welder and that could be very costly. Any suggestions???

Tough call with no pictures of the transom.. :lol:

Here's a couple picture updates. I promise I'll post some pics of the transom and some new color pictures shortly. The grinding and priming is done. I've decided to go with the Krylon Camo series paint to keep with the budget build.

Here's the freshly-sanded transom. Pretty. shiny clean bare metal:

020120091040-1.jpg

Just a couple of shots with primer on:

020120091042-1.jpg

020120091043-1.jpg

That shovel deserves some sort of medal for all it's been through.

Looks good but I'd need to see the inside wood of the transom. If it dries out and you can get by, I wouldleave it. But seeing as the thing has been out in the elements, I'd be skeptical. I replaced mine on my monark and it wasn't submerged, but was really shot (and I am only using a 25 hp 2 stroke as well).

It's going to come down to your judgement, but I'd suggest replacing it (as long as you can figure out an easy way to remove the old one).

If its going to involve tearing it all apart and rewelding, I'd take my chances. Once you get a motor, put it on and push on the motor and see if the transom flexes.. if not, you're good to go.

Here are a couple of pictures of the transom:

020120091044-1.jpg

020120091045-1.jpg

The good news is the wood was never under water. Of course, that doesn't matter in the fact that the boat (1994 model year) has been consistently outside for who knows how long. I like the idea of torquing a motor on the back to check for flex. I'm not sure how easily you can tell from the pictures what's going on back there as far as the various welds and transom components, but from my amateur point of view it seems like it'd be hard to get to that wood.

Below is a picture of my bootleg paint booth. Don't laugh:

020120091046-1.jpg

I started getting some color in it this evening but it was too dark out for the pictures to do justice.

The sheet metal on the back doesn't show any sign of bends or distortion which is a good sign, looks pretty straight from the inside also. Also in your favor by '94 builders were making much better transoms to hold bigger, heavier motors. The wood on my transom (I have the same basic model of Monark ober51 has) wasn't rotten, it was just warped worse than Charlie Manson (Or Marilyn Manson). Mine spent over 6 months 24/7 in the water at a marina and I suspect they left the motor tipped up which eventually warped the bottom middle. It didn't help any that it was only 1" -1 1/8" thick unlike the ones today that are 1 1/2" (Which mine is now)

That one doesn't look like it would be a lot of fun, it's not unusual to have to knock off and replace some rivets on the knee braces but you'd have to do quite a few with the 3 short ribs you'd have to get loose and it looks like you'd still have a couple of welds to grind off. Is that wood we are looking at on the inside pictures or is the inside of the transom 'skinned' with aluminum sheet?

The inside of the transom is "skinned". I have mixed feelings about the transom (although your post makes me feel better longjohn). Looking at the aluminum on thew back, it is wavy. From the front it is straight as an arrow. I don't know what to think, although the metal sections on other parts of the boat are also wavy. I don't think this ever had an outboard on it judging from the lack of marks on the transom and the row locks installed on the rails. Yes, there would have to be surgery preformed to get to said wood, and the fact that it is sandwiched in there makes me want to leave it. The transom feels pretty sturdy for now. I have thought about drilling exploratory holes maybe that could be used to get kind of a description of the wood then be filled back with epoxy or JB Weld. What do y'all think?

I'll have more pictures up in a couple of days. The outside base coat is practically done; next is the inside then the stenciling begins.

Here are some pictures with the Krylon advancing when it's not too wet or windy.

It took about six cans of Green to put a light base coat on the outside and some of the inside:
020120091050-1.jpg

I used my stencil (thanks to whoever illegally posted the sign in my folks' neighborhood) to apply the camouflage. I started with brown:
020120091062-1.jpg

Next came the khaki, which unfortunately came out a little too light:
020120091068-1.jpg

I was not satisfied with the way the colors contrasted. The next day I tried a new trick using some older black spray paint left over from my last boat camouflaging. I sprayed a brush then used light strokes to not only break up the pattern but add some shadow. I know, I broke the cardinal rule of camouflaging, but it may work for now. This picture was taken at dusk so it didn't turn out as well:
020120091070-1.jpg

I'm not as excited about the current outcome as I'd like to have been. I may go back to the drawing board on this paint job, or I might find a color between the brown and khaki and stripe it on the hull much as I did the black if it helps.

Dang man...I don't think it looks bad at all.

What is the cardinal rule of camoflauging you broke?

Ur boat looks very good. It has came a long way since you found it!! Keep up the good work. I think the camoflage looks very good!!

Latest posts