Enough HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny308

Reaction score
I am wondering if a ten horsepower motor will be enough for a 16' semi v boat. I don't need to go super fast but would like to go between 12 and 15 mph. Anyone have an idea if that size motor will do that on a 16'? Thanks in advance for any input.

you probably won't be able to get on plane with that motor I have a 9.9 on my 14 ft deep v and can barely get on plane.

Well its according to what 9.9 you get. If you get a new 4 stroke, you probably wont be satisfied. But if you opt for a 2 stroke, I think itll get you to that range your looking for. I would suggest a 90's model Nissan/Tohatsu 9.9. My dad has a 1996 model Nissan 9.9 on his 1648 Mod-V Crappie Deluxe, and he gets 21mph GPS.

I have a 16' semi v with 25hp tiller. It will do 20 mph with just me and some tackle (I don't have the best setup though). You might want to consider at least a 20hp, prop rated, 2-stroke motor.

Anything is better than paddeling.

I used to use a 7.5hp Eska on my 14', wasnt fast, but it got me to where I needed to go.

If you don't fish any water limited to 9.9 HP then I would go with a 15 HP. Why? Because you can usually find used 15 HP for less than a used 9.9 HP because of the limited to 9.9 HP lakes places a higher demand for used 9.9's and thus they go for more money.

If you already have a 9.9 then you might be able to find someone to swap a 15 straight up, you'll get what you want and they'll get what they need for 9.9 limited waters

15' Modified V, me (215#), fishing gear and 200# more people, I get 28-29 with a 2 stroke 25 hp Yamaha. Good acceleration and throttle response. Me and gear alone I've seen 32. Don't underpower your boat. It'll suffer on performance and gas mileage. I can cruise @ around 22-24 mph and sip gas.

Latest posts