Help with Paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathTaco

Reaction score
We want to paint over the steelflex to make the hull a solid color but are having trouble locating a paint to use. We were looking at some rustoleum antifouling bottom paint to do the job, and using the rustoleum marine topside to do the inside of the boat. Would this be ok? just wondering what others used so as not to mess up.

Will the boat be left in the water for extended periods of time? If not, antifouling paint isn't necessary, and topside paint can be used throughout.

Eitherway, topside paint will work for the interior if that's what you want to use. I'm not sure how the prices compare, but regular rustoleum spray paint (either in a rattle can or from a jug) works well for the interior of boats, and allows you to touch up dings easily with a rattle can, and may be easier on your wallet.

I'm not so sure you will find a paint that will stay put on steelflex. I used steelflex and while mixing it up just dyed it to match my color paint. I did this becuase Jerry at Fasco said that paint will not adhere to the steelflex. Look at mine below almost no difference in color.

DSCN0578.JPG

Sader762 said:
Interesting.....how did you dye the Steelflex?

Fasco gives you options on dye coloring for the steelflex. I just ordered both grey and white dye from them, Mixed up a couple of formula's to find a close match and went with that. It was even closer in color before it dried.

OK, thanks for the advice. Just some plain rustoleum spray paint will work on the inside? Seems to easy, lol. I was told that polyurethane enamel will work for the outside. If not i will order some topside paint.