just got boat .. few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02silvz71

Reaction score
i just bought a 14 ft flatbottom ... i just replaced all the wood on the seats and redid some of the rivets and a few other mis. things to it ..

first question is which coating to use for the outside to reduce leaks (and the boat needs to be repainted) and where to buy it

second is ... the boat doesnt have a wood floor ... does it need one ? ive been looking to see if it helps to keep the boat more stable or what the pros and cons are ? .. some ppl say it helps to reduce the wear and tear since your standing on wood and not on the main alum. bottom

this is my first alum. jonboat and want to make sure its done right so it will last thanks !

As far as your outer covering for sealing leaks, I think Steel Flex is your best bet. You can get it colored too so that can be your paint all in one step. You can search Steel Flex and come up with a lot of choices. I think Brine did a post in his boat build using this stuff.

As far as the floor - it's more a safety/comfort thing in my mind. You won't be tripping over ribs moving between the benches, and it's a little more comfortable to stand on for long periods of time.