Salt water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick4634

Reaction score
So I'm moving to NH soon and I have a 14 ft aluminum boat that is pretty beaten up. The paint is faded and scratched and is really bad on the inside. My question is I will be using it for clamming and fishing. So it will be exposed to a lot of brackish and salt water. Do I need a certain type of paint for it and I have a floor in the Boat so there will be a build up of sand and salt on the inside and Underneath the floor of the boat. Do I need paint for that too?

nick4634 said:
So I'm moving to NH soon and I have a 14 ft aluminum boat that is pretty beaten up. The paint is faded and scratched and is really bad on the inside. My question is I will be using it for clamming and fishing. So it will be exposed to a lot of brackish and salt water. Do I need a certain type of paint for it and I have a floor in the Boat so there will be a build up of sand and salt on the inside and Underneath the floor of the boat. Do I need paint for that too?

Others will be able to better answer, but here is what I have learned. For salt, welded boats are better than rivited because the water is less apt to get into the seams, where oft times rubber material is used to keep a water-tight seal. Regardless of the boat, however, it must be washed down with fresh water. I imagine the boat will last a few years in the salt, but not too long as it will eat away at the boat.

As for paint, I was under the assumption that if the boat is in the salt for prolonged periods of time, albalative is the way to go. If not, regular paint will work. I think a quality boat paint will suffice for what you need if it is not going to be stored in the salt on a regular basis.

I might think Steel Flex would work - but others here (and Jerry at Fasco) will be able to answer that. As for the inside, I would use some Gluvit and get it into the seams. Eventually it will not hold, but it cant hurt. The big think with salt is trying to clean it off as best as you can after every trip. As I am sure you know, flush the motor...and rinse that boat out.