Bow Mount Trolling Motor Mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Sicina

Reaction score
I purchased about a month ago a 15' Grumman Challenger that I'm completely refurbishing. My question is mounting the bow mount trolling motor. Should the motor be positioned directly over the point of the bow or off to the side? I did a goggle search and someone had the opinion of 1 foot off the center of the bow but I'm not sure of the reasoning. From the numerouse holes I patched on the front deck, it was hard to tell where it was mounted originally.
Thanks,
Ray

I just mounted a brand new minn kota edge on my 14' semi v. The directions said to mount it as close to the center line of the boat as possible. I had to mount mine to the side a little to make room for my nav lights and running lights so be sure to keep this in mind, if you plan on putting lights on it, or anything else you plan to put on the bow. I imagine this recommendation is just to make it easier to control the boat, I doubt you will experience much of a difference between mounting it completely center and a foot to one side. my .02

sturdi87 said:
I just mounted a brand new minn kota edge on my 14' semi v. The directions said to mount it as close to the center line of the boat as possible. I had to mount mine to the side a little to make room for my nav lights and running lights so be sure to keep this in mind, if you plan on putting lights on it, or anything else you plan to put on the bow. I imagine this recommendation is just to make it easier to control the boat, I doubt you will experience much of a difference between mounting it completely center and a foot to one side. my .02

This +1000. I put mine near the middle and it works great.

you won't notice any difference with where you mount it.. I've mounted them all the way on the left side, and the one I have now is mounted about 1' to the left of center

I'm in this same boat this week for my new MK Edge trolling motor but I'm putting mine on a 14 flat. I'm trying to decide it it's going to work alright with it offset about a ft because the front of my boat doesn't have a lot room.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345442#p345442 said:
sledneck22 » 38 minutes ago[/url]"]I'm in this same boat this week for my new MK Edge trolling motor but I'm putting mine on a 14 flat. I'm trying to decide it it's going to work alright with it offset about a ft because the front of my boat doesn't have a lot room.

It will be fine

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138176#p138176 said:
Ray Sicina » 03 May 2010, 13:02[/url]"]I purchased about a month ago a 15' Grumman Challenger that I'm completely refurbishing. My question is mounting the bow mount trolling motor. Should the motor be positioned directly over the point of the bow or off to the side? I did a goggle search and someone had the opinion of 1 foot off the center of the bow but I'm not sure of the reasoning. From the numerouse holes I patched on the front deck, it was hard to tell where it was mounted originally.
Thanks,
Ray
A trolling motor should be mounted as close to center as possible. The further off center the more it will pull in that direction causing you to fight it to keep the boat on track. You can mount it to either side or the center but make sure it does not obstruct your view while driving. Don't have the head to far over the gunnel because it could get knocked off at the dock stump etc... Here is how I did my MotorGuide.

015_zps9586118b.jpg

016_zps3ed0feca.jpg

Here is how I ended up mounting my bow mount on my 1436 flat. It is about 8" off center when deployed. I don't foresee any problem with this set up.

Attachments

• BOATBOW1 (1).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 869
  • BOATBOW1 (2).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 869
  • BOATBOW1 (3).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (3).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 869
  • BOATBOW1 (4).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (4).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 869
Should work out just great for you, you'd be hard pressed to ever find a boat with a TM mounted dead center. On semi-v's for example by mounting it slightly to one side that allows the unit to rest within the boat when not in use and still not be in the way, just like your's actually.

Latest posts