getting ride of my oxidation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassDominator

Reaction score
the 1989 boat i just purchased off craigslist has some slight oxidation on the sides. I am very confused as to what i should use to get it back to its original luster. The boat does not have paint so what ever i do i just do not want it to shine like a mirror and i do not want to remove the decals yet.

i was looking for something that did not require sanding!
and i know about sharkhide and alumabrite however i was looking for something i wouldn't have to send away for and wait a week for it to arrive. anyone know of anything at walmart or any of the auto stores?....
thanks guys.

( i have looked at past posts but did not really find what i needed )

Use sharkhide or alumabrite. Sharkhides a better deal i believe and that is what i just bought. You can get an off white aluminum color if you use the highest concentration. AND no sanding, or even scrubbing.

from their site:
Q: What kind of finish will SHARKHIDE Aluminum Cleaner leave?
A: That depends on how strong you mix it. When mixed at a weaker ratio, about 10 to 1 or so, it will slowly remove slight stains and oxidation leaving a fairly
shiny finish assuming that the original mill finish still exists. But when mixed at a strong ratio, up to about 4 to 1, SHARKHIDE Aluminum Cleaner will bleach
aluminum to a uniform off white finish.

https://www.sharkhide.com/acinfo.html

i bought some stuff at NAPA called aluma Brightener ( 32 oz for 10 bucks ) and i diluted with water and it left a lot of streaking! so i freaked and my friend who works in the sheet metal union said.....man aluminum is that color new....i calmed and used the concentrate from the spray bottle ( let sit for 30-50 sec and wash off ) and it washed my boat to a uniform off white color. i'm just hoping that the shine my boat use to have the classic aluminum sheen will come back with time.......

or did i just acid wash it away?! either way i did work on the front nose and compared it to the other side and its night and day. 20 years of oxidation gone, however i still have a bit of white pitting : /

you will never get the factory aluminum color back (unless if it came really shiny). I read somewhere that the original shine happens when the aluminum is rolled out. You can however get a nice shine by using the cleaner and then polish it, then protect it. Sharkhide offers products for all of this.

Latest posts