Piano Hinge Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millertime4242

Reaction score
It appears piano hinges work quite well when attaching deck lids. I've never worked with them and I'm curious as to how to cut them. When I cut them, will the pin come out of the hinges? Or is there enough friction to hold it in? I haven't ordered them yet, I'm still in the 'planning' phase. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

millertime4242 said:
It appears piano hinges work quite well when attaching deck lids. I've never worked with them and I'm curious as to how to cut them. When I cut them, will the pin come out of the hinges? Or is there enough friction to hold it in? I haven't ordered them yet, I'm still in the 'planning' phase. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I cut them with snips or a hacksaw or a metal blade on a sawzall. The pin stays in once cut. Aircraft Spruce has some good stuff for hinges. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/pianohinge.php

Floatsum said:
I "Bop" the end links to pinch it with a rolled screwdrive.
Easier being sure.

I am not following....can you explain a little further or show a pic? It sounds like they are able to cut easily. Thanks for the info guys!

I use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to cut the hinges(works great). Squeeze the tips of the hinge a bit with lineman pliers to prevent the hinge pin from working its way out.

A good pair of tin snips is the easiest and cleanest way. The piano hinges I have used never had an issue with the hinge pin coming loose, it's crimped to one of the hinges at every section and the other side is the one that swings. Hacksaws and sawzalls work but one bind and they'll bend the hinge all up, they leave a jagged edge and never seems to get cut nice and square like they do with a *good* pair of tin snips.