Tiller To Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hempfieldhunter

Reaction score
Forwarn - I tried to seach this but w/o luck.

Heres the plan! I have a boat (pic included), 16' Crestliner. The plan in short was a all alum floor. Then add a console (found one on iboats.com), have that welded in, and then convert everthing so I've have a console boat. Is this A. Possible? B. Practical (I can do it in chunks, $ wise)? C. Difficult? I would prob have most of it done for me, to make sure it was done correctly. I was planning on a rotary/ cable steering set up. Any idea on price for this some of these things I'm talkin about?

Has anyone done a project like this? Link?

Thank You So Much!

IMG_0731.jpg

I did this to a 1997 Carolina Skiff J16. I had purchased the boat with just the front casting deck and 2 jon style seats. I put a 25 horse Evinrude on it. I took the seats out and put a fibreglass console in. I used the Teleflex rotary steering and cables. As far as converting the engine, it was not too difficult but I have done a lot of electrical and mechanical installs over the years. I ended up making all my electrical harnesses and installed industrial type push buttons to crank and stop the engine. The kit to install the electric remote choke was expensive so I opted to just leave the original choke on the engine. I could reach behind me, choke the engine by hand easy enough. The kit to convert from tiller to remote was expensive too. I guess i would say that it was fairly costly, took some time, and since this was my kind of work , not too difficult for me. All I can say in retrospect is that the next console boat was purchased already rigged.

I have herd that, just buy a console boat, but this boat was a gift, its in pretty good shap (like an 2003 but just some paint chipping) and I love the lay out, I dont want decks, I just was a wheel instead of tiller, no problem with the choke, I can turn around too.

Have you thought about stick steering? I have never installed one, but I have driven a boat with stick steering. One thing about a tiller boat is that you have a lot of control when fishing. That is a nice boat to be changing much. This is the place to go if you want mod ideas. plenty info.

Can you sell the motor and buy a remote motor?

I am converting my stick steer boat to a side console, but I have the remote setup on my motor already. I just need to fab the bottom half of the console (redoing the console, too), buy the steering and I should be set. I have started the console work, it's in my thread.

It is indeed possible, but it might be more practical to sell the boat and motor and buy a used console setup. If my back would allow it, I would rather have the tiller steer myself, as it leaves a TON more room in the boat. I just can't twist my body like I used to, and am staying with the steering and console on my boat now.

I saw that boat for sale on craigslist. Guess noone bought it. I would just stick with the tiller and spend your money on some other mods and comfy seats. There are lots of guys that run the river with your setup. I lucked out and found a Lowe 1760 with added aluminum decking and pedestal seats. It also has a 50 hp on it with a 105lb trolling motor and center console. Guy wants 4k. Just lucked out on that one. I would fish out of it a little first and then see if you still want a console.

Latest posts