Trolling motor props

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntinfool

Reaction score
Teach me something I do not know. Why are there so many different types of props. 2, 3, and 4 blade models. Which one is best for what? I can't find any info other than those of opinion.

I am rebuilding three Motorguide Great white hand control motors. All three have a 2 blade prop. Is this what I want? I may do some salt water fishing, but mostly freshwater in the timber and bowfishing.

What say you.

I know I put this in the wrong forum, but I saw trolling motors and just clicked it with out even thinking. Should I move this to another forum?

I can speak from experience when I tell you that I saw absolutely no difference between the 2 blade and 3 blade prop on my front trolling motor as far as power goes.

A pro told me that the 2 blade will outperform the 3 blade, but I couldn't tell a difference

the 3 and 4 blade props are a bit smaller thus more weedless. but less speed. in open water the 2 blade is the way to go for more speed. the 3 blade machete is a good choice for both open and weedy waters.
I have the hydrilla gorilla prop that was supposed to give you more power that the standard 3 blade but i didn't see it
i have a new safari 2 bade prop that they claim to be weedless haven't had the chance to try it yet so we will see

the 3 and 4 blade props are a bit smaller thus more weedless. but less speed. in open water the 2 blade is the way to go for more speed. the 3 blade machete is a good choice for both open and weedy waters.
I have the hydrilla gorilla prop that was supposed to give you more power that the standard 3 blade but i didn't see it
i have a new safari 2 bade prop that they claim to be weedless haven't had the chance to try it yet so we will see

russ010 said:
I can speak from experience when I tell you that I saw absolutely no difference between the 2 blade and 3 blade prop on my front trolling motor as far as power goes.

A pro told me that the 2 blade will outperform the 3 blade, but I couldn't tell a difference

Same here. I can't tell a bit of difference.

I went with the two blade primarily because my cover kept stress fracturing and breaking blades on the 3 blade props. I could never turn them so that the cover wasn't placing at least one of them in a real bind. I can position the 2 blade prop so that the blades are horizontal and clear the cover. Spending $30 on a new prop every spring was getting old.

So far as the physics of it goes, a 2 blade should be more efficient and give you a higher speed. On something as low powered and slow as a trolling motor... you aren't going to see any advantage most likely.

Latest posts