Seeking suggestions for some 12' Sylvan shallow V mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffG

Reaction score
Just picked up a Sylvan 12SFS (12' shallow v). It's a very light boat and I'd like to keep it as light as possible. Max weight is around 450 pounds. No trailer; we just load it into the back of the van. I'd like to make a few modifications and this site looks like a terrific source of information and ideas.

It's a 1995 boat with almost no modifications. We only take this little boat on a small private lake. Powered by a 36lb Minn Kota Turbo 65 (tiller, transom mounted). No big waves, almost no night fishing. Mostly bass fishing with the kids and sometimes friends. Here's what I'd like to do in the short term:

1. Battery mount for trolling motor. 27 series marine battery. I would prefer not to drill through the bottom of the boat near the transom. Might not be a big deal, but I've never done it. I'd like to install something that holds the battery tight in the unlikely event of capsize. Also would need to be able to connect and disconnect the battery on each trip. There is a transom support arm which might offer a solid mounting point.

2. Storage - Just looking to secure a few items, so nothing huge (fishing supplies, dry bag, etc).
What's my easiest and best "out-of-the-way" location for this type of storage.

I have not done anything with decking. I have concerns about stability if we raise the floor. I'm also trying to keep it light (due to low weight capacity and no trailer).

I'm open to suggestions, ideas, advice, and feedback. I'm pretty handy, so I'm not afraid to tackle a detailed project. I would like to hold off on very time consuming projects until after the season. Don't want to miss any good days!
sylvan12sfs.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

Nice boat!

If that was my boat, I would just put a drop in, carpeted level floor in between the seats to make it easier to stand while fishing and they are removable to clean/vacuum.

That is all i would for this season. :D