a couple of paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcake

Reaction score
1. should i prime the whole boat or just the area that go to the metal? (boat is painted)
2. spray, roller or spray paint pros cons
3. brand of paints best?

i've been and will continue to read the archives but i thought this will help to speed the process

thanks
darrin

I have a 79 lowe jon.
It has about 6 types of paint on it flaking etc, I just bought a quart of paint from walmart for 7 bucks and had them add some beige color to it. I plan on brushing and rolling her after using a wire brush on the rough peeling areas... Should be money!

Rough up the existing paint good getting the loose stuff off and the just primer the bare areas. If the paint is still sticking after all these years then the chances of you getting better adhesion after fully stripping the paint is slime to none (They ALL look good after a fresh paint job, it's what it looks like after a few years of hard use that's the real factor)

I'd avoid sprays cans for anything except primer or flat paints. Spraying it on is probably the fastest and easiest but not necessarily the best way. Often it is not the most practical way either because of overspray problems (It gets everywhere and I do mean everywhere). Rolling and tipping, if done properly, is probably the best way. You get a better bond and thicker coats without sagging than you do with spray paint. Downside is it's more work and takes more time than spraying. Plus side is you don't have to spend the next year getting paint dust off all the stuff in your garage

Check my mod. I'm using a pneumatic sprayer and it is going on great and doesn't take a lot of time.

Also, I would sand the whole boat, if the paint is in good shape use something like a 220 or 320 grit. That way you can rough it up which will allow for better adhesion when you prime it. Make sure you use a self-etching primer as many others will say.

Latest posts