Filling bolt holes, JB Weld??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjb153

Reaction score
I have a 1975ish Smoker Craft, deep v (semi tri hull I suppose in its design). I bought the boat last year and I am currently in the process of stripping down the hull and getting ready for paint. I purchased new tempress seats, 3 gallon gas tank, some running lights, bow mount 54 lb.. so I am very excited about getting it together and on the water again. I used the boat a few times last year and I wanted to mod some things with it.

I found that in sanding and stripping the boat, there are quite a few bolt holes above the water line that I would like to fill and grind. My question is, what is the best method. Although I want it to look good, I am not concerned with leaking from most. There are a few small screw holes below the water line that I need to fill as well.

I was thinking JB Weld? Possibly JB weld with silicone on the inside in case?

I did a search on here, but could not find any good info on how to approach this.

Thanks

I used JB weld and went over every rivit and bolt on my boat. I even had a gash in the transom and used JB to fill it, that was about 3 years ago. I don't have any leaks what so ever. It worked for me.

Good to know. I will be filling the holes, then grinding it smooth for paint.

I've used JB Marine Weld with good results, but I am curious as to how USC All-Metal would work. Looks to be great for gashes and dents - not sure about holes and whether it is water tight (they say it's water proof)? I have to make my console look better, havent decided what to use (leaning JB Weld only because I have it and money isn't flowing yet, ha).

Link to All-Metal: https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/usc-all-metal-premium-aluminum-filled-auto-body-filler-p-14787.aspx

JB Weld make a product called Water Weld that work great. It comes in a cylinder type container. You cut off what you need. Then you "knead" it until it is on color then apply it where needed. Once dry, sand, prime,a nd paint. Works very well.

Nevillizer said:
JB Weld make a product called Water Weld that work great. It comes in a cylinder type container. You cut off what you need. Then you "knead" it until it is on color then apply it where needed. Once dry, sand, prime,a nd paint. Works very well.

X2 JB Water Weld works great!