Using my 12 ft Jon without a launch ...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Reaction score
Close to Lake George, NY , Saratoga Lake.
One of the things we have up here are smaller ponds with out regular launches, I like kayak fishing but it cramps my style a bit... anyhow if I can park close to the water, I slide the boat off the trailer, load up, and go, mostly electric, but also with oars. I have no problems paddling. Coming back I line up the boat front to the back of trailer, lift up a bit while kicking an upside down milk crate underneath, the stern will stick up, move the crate a bit more if needed, line up with bunks, then just lift the back and push in, no sweat with a flat bottom 12ft!

Froggy said:
One of the things we have up here are smaller ponds with out regular launches, I like kayak fishing but it cramps my style a bit... anyhow if I can park close to the water, I slide the boat off the trailer, load up, and go, mostly electric, but also with oars. I have no problems paddling. Coming back I line up the boat front to the back of trailer, lift up a bit while kicking an upside down milk crate underneath, the stern will stick up, move the crate a bit more if needed, line up with bunks, then just lift the back and push in, no sweat with a flat bottom 12ft!

I bet there are some lunkers in those little ponds!

The winch strap would be more of a pain then anything else, its really no biggie lifting the Jon with the two back handle, slides right on. I like to fly fish for bass that is too cool!! Big fish out there for sure.

Froggy said:
The winch strap would be more of a pain then anything else, its really no biggie lifting the Jon with the two back handle, slides right on. I like to fly fish for bass that is too cool!! Big fish out there for sure.

Do you stand or sit in the boat when casting? How do you find the stability when fly fishing?

Funny you mention that, rollcasting works best but I can do both standing up, I cannot get too much distance sitting down, however I dont really cast that far from a boat, like to feed some line while drifting slowly.

Froggy said:
Funny you mention that, rollcasting works best but I can do both standing up, I cannot get too much distance sitting down, however I dont really cast that far from a boat, like to feed some line while drifting slowly.

A couple of my best friends are fly-fishermen. It's kind of a pain fishing with them - they take up too much airspace! :lol:

Fished out of a canoe with one of these guys last year. That was pretty scary.

i got kinda same deal at my grandpas old pond but i got a 14ft lol i just backed in pond like i had a boat ramp but i got fourwheel drive theres some old bricks pile back in the junk pile i thought i would make two tracks the width of my trailor one day the fish aint bitin

Froggy,
I'm a fly-fisherman myself. I've got a couple of small ponds that you can't launch a boat in. One has a steep drop-off to the water. I have to hook the rope in the front of my boat to my truck and yank it up out of there when I'm done :lol: .

I had wheels on my old 12 footer. Built on the transom, they could flip up or down; down for launching, up for on the water. I launched at a primitive boat launch (kayaks, canoes and a steep mud bank). With the wheels I could launch and retrieve single handed (with the help of the truck to get it up the hill when retrieving) with it fully loaded, motor, fuel and all.

That sound like a pain in the #$%. I almost tore my bicep trying to push my boat out up a bank. I would say use a chain to pull it out. I'm guessing you don't want one of those square plastic bass tenders but those look really light and ppl seem to give them away for nest to nothing.

Latest posts