Live well pump question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchin

Reaction score
So I'm picking up my new Tsunami 800GPH thru-hull pump w/strainer today and need to know the following question. When the pump is not under power will it still allow water to get past the pump??? I only ask because I'm really hoping not, otherwise I'm going to need some kind of overflow system. any help on this would be greatly welcomed :wink: The pump will be mounted on the transom below the water line.

Attachments

• pump location.JPG
    pump location.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,307
Kabina said:
Did you check there website to see if you could find anything? https://www.attwoodmarine.com/

There pumps don't have a check valve so an overflow may be needed.

Thanks for the link but, I found nothing of value there. I read every FAQ & Q&A on there about the pump and its all pertaining to the pump being under power, all I need to know is if the pump while off will still let water pass through the pump and into the livewell. Thanks for the response though. :wink:

Is this the pump you have?

460_TSUNAMIAERATOR.jpg

I tried calling attwood, but I didn't get an answer. When you find out anything please let us know. It will be useful when I get my livewell installed.

Will do man... I've tried to call them a few times too, without any luck. Anybody know the answer to this????? there are a lot of people on here who have used this same style pump in there mod's just looking for a yes or no????????????????????????????????????????

you will have some water pass through the pump when it is not under power.
if you fill line is above the water line you will be fine . (water wont flow up hill without power) if you fill line is below the water line it will fill to that point. one thing you can do is install a shut off valve on the out side of the pump and shut it off when not in use.
aren't you going to need an overflow system anyway? how do you plan on adding fresh water without one filling the live well without the ability to add fresh water will wind up killing fish.
if you have a drain setup for it you can just add a stand pipe to the drain and use it as your overflow it will need to be a good size to allow the 800gph pump to not flood the boat

redbug said:
if you fill line is above the water line you will be fine . (water wont flow up hill without power) if you fill line is below the water line it will fill to that point. one thing you can do is install a shut off valve on the out side of the pump and shut it off when not in use.
aren't you going to need an overflow system anyway? how do you plan on adding fresh water without one filling the live well without the ability to add fresh water will wind up killing fish.
if you have a drain setup for it you can just add a stand pipe to the drain and use it as your overflow it will need to be a good size to allow the 800gph pump to not flood the boat

Thanks Redbug, I think I'll be fine then. My livewell fill will be mounted above the water line. I don't like the whole drain thing so I came up with this style of replenishing the fresh water from time to time. I'll just shut off the areator and turn on the bailer, while running the feed pump to recirculate some fresh water. Also this allows me to drain the livewell when done fishing.

LIVEWELL.JPG

redbug said:

Good post redbug. There is one other thing that the OP might want to consider. if you have the hose from the pump to the livewell in a U shape, and sometime upside down U shape (arch), water will be held some there in the hose. It is best to keep the hose as vertical as possible, or slanted with the lowest point at the pump so that all water will drain once taken out of the water.

I don't know about you, but I don't like to think there is sludge and algae growing in my hoses. Especially because I fill up the livewell a little to give my dog a drink most days :D

Latest posts