need help attaching throttle controls to boat!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brunogreco

Reaction score
This is my first boat project and I took an 18 foot flat bottom lowe jon boat and built a fishing deck on the front and back, carpeted the decks and put seats in place. I took the old tiller handle motor off and put a 1982 40 HP Mercury on that is setup for steering controls. I bought the console and have it welded in place and have everything setup and attached to the motor. The last thing I need to figure out(for now) is how to attach the throttle and shifter box to the actual boat. The boat has a rounded rail around it. Does anyone know of a part that attaches to that round rail that I can attach my controls to or have a better idea on how to attach them? Thanks for the help. I've been reading here for a while and finally needed to post something. Seems like a great site!!!

I wish I had a picture of how mine was attached - but since I don't, I'll try to describe it. The control box was mounted to bent piece of aluminum, the bottom 3/4 inch or so was bent to match the side of the boat, then the middle was straignt up and down, where the control box mounts. Then the top is bent over and went straight to the side of the boat. It had a little flange, either up or down to attach to the side of the boat. It was riveted on, but I will be attaching it with bolts.

Wish I could draw it out here.

Maybe this will help, I found a picture that shows the mount. Look on the left side of the picture...

You could build this pretty easy, I think...

20100214ConsoleRemoved.JPG

Great picture thank you. Just took it to the shop that welded the console in for me. $25 and he is going to rig up something similar for me. Thanks!!!

brunogreco said:
Great picture thank you. Just took it to the shop that welded the console in for me. $25 and he is going to rig up something similar for me. Thanks!!!

WOW - $25 seems like a great price!

I've seen a boat that used a ammo can mounted to the boat with the controls mounted to the ammo can. The ammo can also gives you storage for keys, phone, and other small item you don't want to lose.

The shop that does the welding for me is pretty nice about it. @ the ammo can idea......that actually sounds pretty cool. My boat is camo painted because I duck hunt with it too. That would be a pretty cool hunting talking point.

Do you know how the cables will attach to the motor? I am having the same problem. I have the dog ears attached to my motor, but i can’t figure out how the cable attaches. I would like to see some pictures of how this goes

Attachments

• seahorse%2025h%20002.jpg
    seahorse%2025h%20002.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 461
  • seahorse%2025h%20016.jpg
    seahorse%2025h%20016.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 461
UMLQQKNATU said:
Do you know how the cables will attach to the motor? I am having the same problem. I have the dog ears attached to my motor, but i can’t figure out how the cable attaches. I would like to see some pictures of how this goes

UMLQQKNATU check your pm, but some pictures of mine can be found on page 4 of my conversion thread. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12448&start=30 hope that helps.

Latest posts