where to buy a 1236 jon?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65tuxedo

Reaction score
I have been shopping around for a 1236 jon without having too much luck. Local dealer can get a Lowe doesn't know when it would come. Shipping would be over $100. Have to wait until his next group of boats and only then if they have one made up already, etc. BPS has the narrow 12s. Like many, I have a limited budget.

I live in the NE corner of Oklahoma on Grand Lake and don't mind a little travel to get the right boat. I don't need a new one, just a good one. I am using a 1432 that is too narrow. When finished fishing, I pull it up on my 14x30 swim dock and chain it up. Don't want a trailer, just a lightweight wide boat to use on the lake.

Do you guys have any suggestions of dealers or boats for sale that would fit the bill?

Thanks,
JB Lewis

Try Cabela's in Kansas City. When I got mine (in MN) I had to wait too, mine was shipped up from Texas. Cabela's here stocks jon boats more for duck hunting then for fishing so their summer stock is kind of low.

There are a few on Craig's List in the Tulsa area too.

I would find your nearest Academy for:
ALUMACRAFT 15-FT. FLAT-BOTTOM BOAT

$997.99
Item#: 10084697
Style#: 1542
SKU: 0141-00124-1542
15-ft. length
42-in. bottom width
One-piece hull
Four-person capacity
775-lb. weight capacity
Max HP: 25

I agree. If you're buying new and there is no strong reason you have to stay small, a 14' or 15' will make you happier in the long run. I used my 1236 for one year - when a boat wake came over the bow I decided it was time to get bigger. The 15" sides are pretty low to the water. The guy I sold my 1236 to is going to use it fishing river shallows for smallmouth and it will be fine for him. On a lake with other boats, being too small gets old fast. I found sometimes I had to turn the boat into the wakes and speed up to ride the tops. I paid $640 for my 1236. For another $300 you can get the Alumacraft that Nevillizer suggests.

I also agree, spend the extra money and get the 1542. I also had a 1236, it was a great boat, but I wanted a bigger boat for the rivers. I got a 1448 now. Its a big difference but I sure do miss the 1236 for the ponds.

I have a large boat for the main lake and I want something smaller for my cove. I am wanting something small that I can lift out of the water onto my dock when I am finished fishing. I do like to stand up and cast so I wanted the 36" width, but I want a lighter, shorter boat for manhandling it.

Since you already have a bigger boat the 1236 will be good for whats your looking. Here in NC you can get a 2009 alumacraft for 625 out the door.

65tuxedo said:
I have a large boat for the main lake and I want something smaller for my cove. I am wanting something small that I can lift out of the water onto my dock when I am finished fishing. I do like to stand up and cast so I wanted the 36" width, but I want a lighter, shorter boat for manhandling it.

The 1542 weighs 210 lbs. A 1436 weighs 180 lbs. The 1236 weighs 125 lbs. I think you could still man handle the 1542 pretty easy. Just my thoughts though.

i had a small Jon that was 10 feet that me and my best friend fished out of.... We always wish we had a bigger boat but even a 12' wouldn't have survived the big lake. I personally would go bigger, besides when resale comes a 15' is probably more desirable... you can only go bigger once and you cant go back.