1448 Tracker grizzly.need floor,anchor tower,maybe new motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Curtis

Reaction score
Tracker boat to be use on Grand River for steelheading

My Tracker Grizzly old style grizzle needs a floor so I need ideas about that.Not wanting ply wood as that add weight to the boat and I need this boat to stay light as there are stones and shallow water in the Grand River,the boat needs to be light so I can run shallow.

No anchor tower to hold up the chain anchor on the bow so that needs to be adressed

Only 15hp Mariner with top speed of 22 to 23 clocked on hand heald GPS.Thinking 25 HP over 15?

Would also like small light deck extention up front as Tracker made the front deck short on this one.Thinking about adding small piece of treated ply wood for this but would also use diamond plate if good could be had.

thanks for ideas and would like to see pictures of your doings

Boy I never heard about that happening.I have a half sheet of pressure treated 3/4" that I was going to use for the deck extention.What happenes when you use the two together?

Might have to get some diamond plate if the ply wood messes up the aluminum

OK that ply wood might not be used for deck extention.

What about the anchor tower and floor?Waht has others used for these?Also opinions about going to 25hp?

thanks

will be looking around the forums now :mrgreen:

I would suggest using aluminum for the floor and frame for the deck extension. If your looking to avoid weight i would stay away from diamond plate. I plan on using aluminum to build my deck structure then plywood with Thompsons water sealer to cover the deck. Im from Grand Rapids and fish the grand river and also have a Tracker! Post some pics and the guys on here will be more than helpful.

I used a product called Sintra in my 1236. It's a PVC sheet material that's pretty light. I used whatever the metric equivalent of 1/2" is. It was expensive at about $120 + or - for a 4'x8' sheet. It should last forever though - can't remember the UV qualities but would be fine under carpet. If you don't carpet it's no good because it is smooth and would easily become very slippery. I got the stuff through a plexiglass dealer. Cabela's has something they call King Starboard. It is really expensive. A 54"x96" sheet, depending on thickness can go for $299.99-$599.99. It would have to be a really cold day...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have read into the issues with treated and aluminum, and generally what I have found is that you just need a barrier between, and just some paint can even work. I am still in the process of building my boat and have used a combination of untreated sealed with thompsons and treated painted with exterior latex. Also given that the points where the wood comes into contact with the hull are minimal, and that the hull also has several coats of paint on it, my concern is virtually null for what I'm using it for. Then again I still don't think I would use treated to build a transom out of either.

Personally, as far as trying to make what I'm building and putting this time and effort into last as long as possible I am concerned about moisture getting in to the wood at points where I put screws in. Maybe a non issue but just some thoughts.

Additionally, I was thinking about sealing the untreated I was using with thompsons then painting it with exterior latex for an additional layer of weather protection, but the directions for the thompson's I have at least says wait 45 days or something really long like that before painting over with latex, it says something like 15 days for enamel. Personally I feel a little better with treated covered in latex vs untreated sealed with thompsons as far as everything considered goes for me. Especially when your talking about pieces that are not even in contact with the aluminum hull, thats mainly what i'm using treated for.

Take the info and weigh it for yourself. Good Luck!

Well I desided to take a chance on the 3/4 treated ply that I have.I made a one piece deck extention that coveres the small deck that was already there and then extends it out some.I screwed it down on the front edge into the aluminun and i made some aluminun supports out of some square stock aluminum.Very strong and light and it gives me a front deck about the size of a new 2010 Grizely.

Now for the floor to be done.I checked out diamond plate on line I find its very high dollar.I would like something thats cheaper but light.No more wood to be added to the boat,must be alumanum or light plastic and low dollar as I am very poor.Ideas please

Wanting to get on this ASAP

I don't know if aluminum and low dollar can go in the same sentence but your best bet would be to check the scrap yards, junk yards, and ask around. I've seen guys use old road signs(key word OLD). Don't go stealing stop signs lol. The plastic type sheets seem to be pricey too but it's up to you. Just my two pennies. Good luck

basshunter25 said:
I don't know if aluminum and low dollar can go in the same sentence but your best bet would be to check the scrap yards, junk yards, and ask around. I've seen guys use old road signs(key word OLD). Don't go stealing stop signs lol. The plastic type sheets seem to be pricey too but it's up to you. Just my two pennies. Good luck

If you don't mind dumpster-diving you might get lucky. I sometimes see various kinds of racks behind stores that are being remodeled. I lucked out because we had some scraps at work that were in the way and wouldn't be used again. Road signs are really good but don't go stealing them. Instead, buddy-up to someone at the county maintenance garage and see if you can get some old ones. If you're not in a hurry, look around and something will turn up.

I only paid 1.25 a pound for my 1/4" thick 2.5' x 4.5' plates of aluminum, from M-82 Recycling In Howard City MI. He's got an entire skid of em'. :D

DSCN0586.JPG

basshunter25 said:
That sounds like a good deal Perchin. What does that come out to per sheet?

If memory serves me correctly it was like $33.50 per sheet. The total bill for 4 of em was like $134.00 and some change. What I like about the 1/4" thickness is they are stout and require almost no supports for decking.

THem 1/4 sheets right there would be the cats balls for a floor.How long ago you get them for that?I going to Baldwin tomorrow and could go through Howard city then.How much they weight in at?I also has some plastic from a above ground swimming pool and been thinking about using that plastic for the floor.I has a whole above grounf pool worth of it just sitting there,could do a bunch of boats with it,all you would need is a jig saw to cut it out to fit and some self tapping screws, the pool is junk and free and the self tappers would be the only be the only cost,but that aluminum above would be great for deck extentions or floor but the plastic would be good for floor only,road signs are good idea too and you could get enough in no time after dark for free

Jeffrey Curtis said:
THem 1/4 sheets right there would be the cats balls for a floor.How long ago you get them for that?I going to Baldwin tomorrow and could go through Howard city then.How much they weight in at?I also has some plastic from a above ground swimming pool and been thinking about using that plastic for the floor.I has a whole above grounf pool worth of it just sitting there,could do a bunch of boats with it,all you would need is a jig saw to cut it out to fit and some self tapping screws, the pool is junk and free and the self tappers would be the only be the only cost,but that aluminum above would be great for deck extentions or floor but the plastic would be good for floor only,road signs are good idea too and you could get enough in no time after dark for free

It was only a few weekends ago. He still has em' I'm sure of it. Just mention that Chaz from Newkirk reffered you to him (steve) and he'll be glad to hook you up. He's pestering our company to use his services rather than Padnos, so he's ready to make us Happy!! :lol:

I not work on the boat over the weeek end as I went away but today I have time and install the flooring.Above ground swimming pool plastis screw down with self tappers.Maybe picture soon.This swimming pool plastic was free and the screws was the only cost and I already had the jig saw and blade :mrgreen: Very nice I must say :mrgreen: still must be makeing anchor tower for the chain river anchor and may need some ideas or two.Anyone out there steelhead fish with jon boat?Fun doings for sure when proper setup.