Getting an old 12ft v hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
As some of you may remember from my old post, i'm in highschool, worked all summer to get myself a 1432 jon boat, and even without a deck my boat is never very sturdy. So I was talking to my old teacher, whom i visit frequently because he is an outdoors man in general, he'll stop class to take us hiking through the woods!

Well the man told me about how his buddy was selling a 12ft v hull, with a trailer, for a hundred bucks because he was moving! i told him if its more than 32" wide i'll take it... sure enough he said it was 4 to 5 feet wide. only problem is the paint is peeling, and the trailer needs new tires and wiring(used to be used as a row boat, and apparently has no leaks... if it does . I can take care of those problems easily.

So i'm considering selling my old boat, so I can buy a motor to actually cover some distance! I haven't seen the boat yet, so i'm not sure if the sticker with weight and motor recommendations is still on it... and i'm sure those recommendations are strictly followed by game wardens??? so if the sticker is "non existence" does that mean it does not matter?

the only thing i know about this boat is that its from the 70's and instead of seats it had wooden planks. i've looked a little to see if i can get something to match this but so far i've been unsuccessful. if anyone can help that'd be great, i'm in Texas if that helps with the laws on it...

i'll be sure to post some pics of the start of my project to the end!
MikeyBob

I would imagine he measured the top - rail to rail, and not the floor width. The boat may not be as wide as you think. Post some pics if you can to give a better idea.

MikeyBob - I did a quick search for 12' v-hull boats to see the manufacturers spec's. I looked at seven different 12' boats - the beam width varied from 54" to 60" and all were rated for a 10hp motor. Probably best not to overpower a small boat. Hope that helps.

i have a 12 ft v-hull with a 6hp engine (42" beam) and it has trouble planing so I would say get an 8-10 hp so you can easily plane. It looks you are decently small though so a 5-6 may work for you as well as long as you don't add too much weight. (I am 245 lbs)

Latest posts