Engineering and Implementation of Mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellis1962

Reaction score
Wow, I have done a lot of renovation type work on a lot of different types of stuff but Engineering basically from scratch is work! Trying to think of all the angles and how everything will work together and then create, install and rework is tedious to say the least. Your spatial and visualization skills as well as creativity need to be strong. Very satisfying though when done. The urge to cut corners is strong. I look at and study the boat and my mods every morning before work. I spend more time staring and thinking than I do actually implementing the mods.

I have been working on my Custom Flat 1654, which was basically a blank canvas. Would like to finish it by July 1. Thought that would be plenty of time but now, I don't know. Not getting discouraged or anything but sure am anxious to get her on the water. Fortunately I have 2 other boats to help satisfy my desire to get on the water. Wife just will not let me fish out of either of the other boats. So I will stick to fishing out of my kayak until July(I hope). I have a thread in the mods forum if you are interested in taking a look. Search Custom Flat.

Ponderin' definitely takes the most time; I find it very helpful to keep a cold beer handy while pondering! My problem is I get halfway through building something I have figured out, then figure out a better way I would like to do it.

Rat said:
Ponderin' definitely takes the most time; I find it very helpful to keep a cold beer handy while pondering! My problem is I get halfway through building something I have figured out, then figure out a better way I would like to do it.

...and depending on how many cold ones, I might forget the idea entirely and have to start over. The thing I like most about this site is the creative solutions people come up with and their willingness to share them. It's really interesting to see how different people solve the same problems. And I love how many silk purses I see that started as sow's ears.

Definitely get a lot of great ideas from this site. Looking at different solutions to the same problem leads to more creativity and innovation. I also look at aluminum fishing boats at a local dealer to get ideas. Currently trying to figure out the back casting deck. Hatch configuration; direction they will open; easy access to battery, gas tank and trim pump; steering and control cable routing so as not to interfere with the hatch doors; what type of nonskid surface for the deck; and on and on.

Here is a shot by a fellow boat builder on the bow of an 18 foot Dory. The light color patches are the Kiwigrip
Turning_brackish.jpg

Plug%20screw%20holes1.jpg

Almost%20fwd.jpg

'I spend more time staring and thinking than I do actually implementing the mods.'

glad to know others feel the same - i have been working on mine for almost 2 months now without much progress. lots of ideas though

lowe_rider said:
'I spend more time staring and thinking than I do actually implementing the mods.'

Ditto. I spend a lot of time sitting on one of the seats in the boat thinking and figuring. I am sure my neighbors think I am some kind of nut. I probably do look pretty silly. At least I don't hold on to the tiller and make motor noises while I'm sitting there.

bobberboy said:
lowe_rider said:

Ditto. I spend a lot of time sitting on one of the seats in the boat thinking and figuring. I am sure my neighbors think I am some kind of nut. I probably do look pretty silly. At least I don't hold on to the tiller and make motor noises while I'm sitting there.

LOL! I don't even have a motor on mine yet, so it really looks silly when I grab the steering wheel then turn and lean.

Latest posts