How much wake spray is too much?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishshtick

Reaction score
I am working on tweaking the height and trim of my Mercury 20 hp (15") on my tracker 1448. I found that the anti-cav plate was more than an inch below the bottom of the transom/hull so I moved the motor up so the anti-cav plate is closer to about even. I can't really go higher with the stock transom or the clamps would have to lock down on trip and not solid transom. However, I was noticing today that when I get up around 20-26 mph or so I get a fair bit of spray coming off the transom/motor even though I am well on plane. The spray fans out behind the boat in nearly a full 180 degree arc centered on the outboard/transom and flies up at about a 40 degree angle. There is no such spray at slower speeds.

Is this normal? At first I thought maybe my motor was too low on the transom, but raising it did not seem to help (Indeed I might have gained a little speed and a bit more spray). Maybe its not really a fault with my outboard positioning per se, but just what is expected for a relatively flat bottom boat (with such an angled transom) at those speeds. Anyone else have this issue? I noticed one still image of a 1648 tracker on-line that seemed to be throwing up spray on plane.

Thanks,
Mike

As long as the motor is getting plenty of water, not ventilating and not getting you wet I wouldn't worry about it too much. My 9.9 threw an uneven spray behind me as well. I never knew why exactly but I figured it had to do with the strakes ending at the transom causing a vortex of water as the leading edge of the lower unit entered it.