so i stripped my boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.:Crosby:.

Reaction score
Aircraft stripper plus 4000 psi pressure washer equals the way to go!
Anyone thinking about stripping their boat I highly recomend doing this.
I tryed sanding that got old after about 1 minute. Then I tryed easy off, that was a waste of money.
Go ahead and pay 40 bucks for the stripper you won't be dissapointed
This stuff took the paint and rhino linning that was on the front right off.

All I did was put it on with a paint brush, let it sit for about 2 or 3 minutes. then I went over it with a soft wire brush to make sure I got all the little specks,
The rinsed it off with the pressure washer and wala. It took about 2 or 3 hours to do the whole thimg.
Now I have a silver bullet ready for steelflex and paint!

Attachments

• IMG00016-20100515-1949.jpg
    IMG00016-20100515-1949.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG00014-20100515-1948.jpg
    IMG00014-20100515-1948.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 823
Yeah I'm definately doing steelflex on the bottom and about an inch or to up the side.
I'm not sure if I wannt to polish it and put a stripe down it like a bass tracker, paint the whole thing.

I had a guy soda blast the paint off mine for $140. These soda blast guys are all over the place. Unlike sandblasting, soda blasting doesn't pit metal or damage soft structures like rubber seals or caulking. I neutralized with water and a vinegar rinse and primed the fresh aluminum it duplicolor spray zinc-chromate. It was well worth it if anyone is considering an alternative to the airplane stripper without having to deal with caustic chemicals at home.

fishshtick said:
I had a guy soda blast the paint off mine for $140. These soda blast guys are all over the place. Unlike sandblasting, soda blasting doesn't pit metal or damage soft structures like rubber seals or caulking. I neutralized with water and a vinegar rinse and primed the fresh aluminum it duplicolor spray zinc-chromate. It was well worth it if anyone is considering an alternative to the airplane stripper without having to deal with caustic chemicals at home.

That's a steal, I got a quote from a guy up here who wanted $600 to do my 14'. :shock: Looks like I'll be going the Aircraft stripper route.

juggernoob said:
fishshtick said:

That's a steal, I got a quote from a guy up here who wanted $600 to do my 14'. :shock: Looks like I'll be going the Aircraft stripper route.

As it turns out I called three different guys and the price ranged up to $500. Thus, prices can be pretty variable. I got lucky with a guy who had a small scale operation in his garage. He did a great job.

Latest posts