Trolling Motor Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterDog67

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a big difference between a transom mounted or bow mounted trolling motor, could someone please explain the differences? Also I have a 14 footer with a 9.9 Mercury outboard, and I need to get a trolling motor, what size do I need? Bow mount or transom mount? Sorry for the dumb questions, it's my first boat, I'm used to walking to where the fish are on the river. Any help would be appreciated.

This difference is the transom mount is mounted in the back of the boat on the transom and is hand controlled.
The bow mount is mounted in the front of the boat and is foot controlled. If you plan on fishing from the front of the boat (bow) that will be what you need. The bigger the trolling motor the better. But a small one will still troll a 14 foot around. I have a 27lbs thrust trolling motor on my 14' and I use it with my boat loaded down with gear, cooler, livewell, and 2 people.
With a bigger motor you will not have to use the higher speeds to get around therefor you will use less battery power.
The only dumb questions asked are the ones not asked at all. :wink:

Waterdog,

I think the above poster answered the same way I would have. On an aside, great photo! You boy and his dog...that is what it is all about.

Charlie

Latest posts