Tonights project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruitt1222

Reaction score
Well I got a free transom mount trolling motor when I bought my boat and decided tonight I was going to build a bow mount for it. Heres what I came up with. Gonna weld a piece of plate on the bottom of these to pieces so it should look like a H from the front view when complete. I don't have any scrap aluminum laying around so its out of carbon steel (1/8 A-36mod plate). GOnna finish it up and paint it with por15 and if I like it will build a alloy version later on. Any thoughts or mods yall can think of?

Attachments

• Picture 298 (Large).jpg
    Picture 298 (Large).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 963
  • Picture 297 (Large).jpg
    Picture 297 (Large).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 963
  • Picture 295 (Large).jpg
    Picture 295 (Large).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 963
  • Picture 296 (Large).jpg
    Picture 296 (Large).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 963
Hey...that looks like a great idea. Should you start making them for sale I am in for one! <-- seriously!

Charlie

I probably wouldn't have spent the time putting all the extra detents in the mount, instead just slotting out for the stowed and deployed ones. Aside from the fact that it is not aluminum [-X , I see no problems with it. Will be much like the MK powerdrive stowing system.

Gonna try to finish this one out today and do a little testing with it, I got a 2'X2'X 3/16" sheet 5052 aluminum today and might give it a try later it it works as well as I hope. I thought about that bass boy and I will tell you why I went on and did it this way. The red stop is plastic and I am concerned I would get used to pushing the buttom and sliding it up till it stops, Atleast this way I have to hold the buttom down till i get it where I want it. I don't think the plastic stop could handle the shock over and over, Guess I could always rebuild the button. Another thought I had when getting the aluminum is to build it out of stainless, It would be heavier but would hold up to tons more abuse and easier to build to boot. As for selling these things I don't know if most transom mount motors mount like this. You guys could check, From the center of the pivot pin to the edge of the detent is 3 3/16". Also the block that mounts in this mount and holds the TM tube is 2".

So put in another thirty minutes while the baby was napping, Finished cutting the parts and did a loose fit up to see what I thought and heres what I came up with. One problem I seen right off the bat was with the TM all the way up its hard to reach the release button. So this brought up this question. Which side would a right handed fisherman mount a hand controlled TM? I was thinking I hold the rod with my left hand so would right side be easiest? If thats the case I need to notch the left side of the mount and not the right like in the picture.

Attachments

• Picture 302 (Large).jpg
    Picture 302 (Large).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 869
  • Picture 301 (Large).jpg
    Picture 301 (Large).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 869
  • Picture 303 (Large).jpg
    Picture 303 (Large).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 869
  • Picture 300 (Large).jpg
    Picture 300 (Large).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 869
Pruitt1222 said:
I thought about that bass boy and I will tell you why I went on and did it this way. The red stop is plastic and I am concerned I would get used to pushing the buttom and sliding it up till it stops, Atleast this way I have to hold the buttom down till i get it where I want it.
Letting it slide until it stops is precisely the reason I mentioned leaving out the slots, but I see now what you mean regarding the plastic piece. I've got a buddy's motorguide (yuk) sitting here, and it's stop is cast aluminum. Looking at it, though, it would be very simple to make that piece out of a scrap of 3/8 alloy.

Well bassboy thats what I shell do, Stoped working on the carbon version tonight and started on a alloy version. I stopped early cause I ran out of jigsaw blades. Decided I am gonna make a new stop out of some stainless. I'll update as I go, Gonna take a few days/rest of the weekend off and away from the house so it will be awhile.