What kind of boat is THIS?!?!?!?!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
Gonna sell my flat bottom Jon and get something more condusive to the Lake Fishing That I have been doing. Question is what do you think this is? Is it wide enough to deck above the seats and what motor size could it handle?

There is no HIN on it. ITs old and the owner says it 16' long. Looks perfect to me.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 689
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 689
Not sure what kind of boat it is but it looks like a clean slate to start a project. 16’ is a good size boat to fish 2 or even 3 people out of.

As far as a deck goes, I don’t think I’d go higher than the seats at all. It just doesn’t look like it’s all that wide and the rounded bottom will make it lean easy in the water when weight is shifted.

For the motor, consider maybe a 15hp. That size would for sure make that boat fast but not overpowered to the point it’d be dangerous.

clarkbre said:
Not sure what kind of boat it is but it looks like a clean slate to start a project. 16’ is a good size boat to fish 2 or even 3 people out of.

As far as a deck goes, I don’t think I’d go higher than the seats at all. It just doesn’t look like it’s all that wide and the rounded bottom will make it lean easy in the water when weight is shifted.

For the motor, consider maybe a 15hp. That size would for sure make that boat fast but not overpowered to the point it’d be dangerous.

You think decking to the seats and then installing pedestals I would be ok? I cant tell how wide it is though?

I had a boat very similar to that one years and years ago.. it was almost as tippy as a canoe compared to a flat bottom.

Just look at the hull. You only have a stable bottom for about 8 feet of the boat if it is a 16 footer and even that has a very generous radius on the corners.

Quackrstackr said:
I had a boat very similar to that one years and years ago.. it was almost as tippy as a canoe compared to a flat bottom.

Just look at the hull. You only have a stable bottom for about 8 feet of the boat if it is a 16 footer and even that has a very generous radius on the corners.

So pretty much its a no go on the decking. I guess that I would need to cut out the seats then and Im not sure im ready for that. Man I got to get things going if I want it. No I am perplexed.

pitdog said:
looks like an old sears boat.Got one almost identical sitting in field at my house.that i cant get a title to. if it is,the hin will be on the transom behind the wood

Found out it is a Sears boat. How stable was it? I am really only interested in it if I can deck above the seats. I dont want another super long build.

put it in the water. Stand on one of the bow seats, move from side to side and see how stable it is. That should tell you if you'd want a deck or not.

Turns out the trailer is virtually unregisterable so I'll take that as a sign that its not meant to be. I am goign to remain patient until I find the right boat for me.

Troutman3000 said:
Turns out the trailer is virtually unregisterable so I'll take that as a sign that its not meant to be. I am goign to remain patient until I find the right boat for me.

Impossible. This is Georgia. I'm not sure if there is a state where it is easier to register an unknown trailer. Go to the tag office, and tell them you have a homebuilt trailer. They will ask you what the value of the trailer is (the annual tag fee is relative to the trailer cost - hint, hint). You pay the first years fee, they give you a license tag and a small ID tag to rivet on the tongue. Ta da!

LOOKS LIKE A NICE BOAT TO START OUT WITH. YOU SHOULD SLAP A DECK ON THERE IF YOU WANT. OF COURSE IT WILL ROCK A LITTLE BIT BUT I DON'T SEE WHY YOU CAN'T ENJOY IT IF YOU DON'T GET TO BIG OF A MOTOR AND ARE CAREFUL-

Latest posts