Transom TM on the bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bAcKpAiN

Reaction score
I was looking at my boat and wondering. Would it be possible to just turn the tiller handle around on my TM and mount it on the bow? I have seen these mounds and gadgets that do such things, but all of them would not work in my case because my trolling motor is ony a 30" shaft model. They put the TM a good 6" higher than the bow of the boat, this would but mine half out of the water.

That being said, would it be possible to just use a few blocks of wood on the side of the bow and mount it there as if it were the transom? I know it wouldn't be right at the center line, which I can handle. When it is on the transom it isn't on the center line either, and is honestly a pain to use because the shape of the transom requires it to be either way in the corner, or too close to the gas motor to steer properly. Does anyone know if this would damage the hull? I have just never heard of anyone doing this, and was wondering if it is possible to damage the hull. I am thinking of using a piece of 1x4 on both the inside and outside of the hull and clamping the TM on the wood. Any thoughts?

For refrence, a pic of the bow.
IMG_1403Small.jpg

you should be able to just remove a screw at the base of the control head at the shaft and spin it around so your handle will be facing you...
Hope that makes sense

Wayne

Yea, I know I can turn the handle, what I am wondering is if this will mess up the hull of the boat with the torque of the motor being on the thin aluminum there. If someone has done that and can chime in, I would greatly appreciate it!

it wont be a problem... 55lb thrust motor ?

its a tin boat not paper mache

the blocks of wood will work fine

It is a 30lb thrust Walmart special Minn Kota Endura 30. Thanks for the input! Now I have some new ideas to look into.

bAcKpAiN I sent you a PM. I added a piece of 2x4 on the inside and a 1x3 out the outside(can't see that in the pic) of the hull to take up room and make a flat surface to clamp to. My TM is a 30" shaft.

100_3955.jpg

I turned the head around on a Minn Kota and there wasnt any problems ran it that way for 12 years, when i sold the abs boat and TM I turned it back around.

No progress in a week or so, mainly been cleaning out an old garage that was used for storage of misc dollar store items for about 20+ years that sat with a leaky roof. I obtained permission to use the garage to store my boat, so I am trying to clean it out. Needless to say it has been slow going cleaning out a 15'+45' garage filled with rotted, water logged boxes of baby diapers, toilet paper, cat litter, soap etc. I will be working on the boat soon though I hope. Just have to get my second wind so to speak! Also working outside I am kind of at the mercy of the weather. I will keep everyone uptated for sure.

I feel bad not being a real active poster on the forums I visit, but in all honesty I don't get out fishing much so I have little to add as input lol :(
Not to mention normally, I am surfing one handed holding my 2 month old baby in my other arm, so typing is difficult to impossible anyway! 8)

I know the weather is crappy. I can't wait until it warms up.

Congrats on the baby! If you don't mind me asking....is it a boy or a girl?

I have a 5 and a 6 year old, so I know all about the surfing with one hand and not having time for anything else.

Your input on here doesn't always have to be about fishing. We talk about lots of stuff on here. The more the merrier! :D

We have a boy that will be three in April, and the two month old is our little girl princess! When I say "our" that includes her big brother, he just loves her to death.

Yea, I know but you how it is, I almost feel like a lurking leech getting the great information and everything, but not being able to contribute a whole lot. I am hoping this year that will change that, I hope to put more time in on the water this year. My wife had a rough pregnancy last season that really kept me in dry dock. I mean, really I never knew sites like this existed!!

I had to slow down a bit too. I have a 6 and a 4 year old myself. Now he is into Baseball and she is into dancing, My wife is cool with making time for me to go fishing though, and it gets easier as they get older. My son will be coming with me more often now. :D

Believe me my wife is VERY understanding, she is the greatest honestly. I had to curtail basicly everything mid July. He was on bedrest for ten weeks.

We bought my son a little "cars" fishing outfit with a tackle box and all. He plays with that more than anything else. He sticks the little casting practice plug into a door jam and pretends he has a biggun! I figure with all this practice he will be good to go real soon!

You guys answered a idea/question I was pondering myself. I have (Lowe?) 10' jon that at one point was used for fishing but the guy I got it from used it for Duck Hunting. So, now I have this sharp cameo on it but I wanted to though a tm on the bow w/o having to shell 250 plus for a bow mounted freshwater. I was irratated that Minn Kota only had a pontoon vice fitted bow mounted tm. The only 1 that I found was buy Motor Guide, but they wanted just as much as a bow mount, which is just not practical for my current living situation. I'd rather have something I can rig up quick and on the cheap. I emailed Minn Kota a few weeks ago regarding that very same question on how turning the head of a transom mounted tm woul affect it's abilty to do it's job, Excellent...my plan is working perfectly...... :twisted:

:mrgreen:
LH28

Yea it was very easy, on my Minn Kota it turned out to be as simple as removing one scew at the base of the handle assembly. Turn the head around and line the hole back up and replace the screw. Worked well for last season. I had to make some changes for this season though my back problems are back with a vengance so no bending don to mess with a TM anymore. I broke down and gt a foot controlled one.

Latest posts