New to site - Need Carpet Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooky1420

Reaction score
First off, thanks for any responses in advance. Newly registered, and already a BIG fan of the site. I'm doing my first mod on a 2010 Tracker 1436. Almost have all the framework done for the decking. Since I've never done this before, my question to you guys is regarding the carpet... My apologies if this is already been posted in another thread...but... What is the best way to attach the carpet to the plywood? I've seen some folks that staple it underneath, and others that use the glue with a rolling pin. Or should I use a combination of both methods? Also, if it is the glue method that you guys recommend, does anyone have any suggestions of a glue product that seems to work the best? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Will post pics as soon as the lady is sea-worthy!

Thanks again! Hooky1420

Welcome aboard. I would suggest a mixture of both. As far as brand of carpet glue, one is just as good as the next. What I did on my old 1436 was cut the carpet to size of the deck/floor. I would staple the lip on one side of the underside of the deck/floor. Then flip it over. I would then apply the glue generously to the wood surface. I would then stretch the carpet tight as possible over the glue covered wood. Then once it was stretched tight I would begin stapling it down the lip opposite of where I started. Then staple the remaining edges. For a clean look the staples would only be on the underside portion of the carpeted surface.

Thanks for the info Nevillizer. I figured that it would probably look more professional to do both methods. Pardon the pun, but I'm like a fish out of water trying to do this modification. I have a vision, but no woodworking or construction skills! Had to go buy the tools I now have, which has slowed the completion of the mod because of money. I bought the boat about a month ago, and she's still not on the water. Project is coming along though. The chase for those Peacock Bass down here in South Florida is really moving me along quickly. I've been taking photos throughout, so at some point you will be able to view. Again, thanks for the response, and the welcome to the site.

P.S. TO MODERATOR - sorry I originally placed this question in the wrong forum... I see I got bumped to the Boat House! :D

Having a vision is a great place to start. Some guys are more skilled than others. You will learn as you go along and the guys on this board will jump at the chance to help. Just remember, the ony one you have to please is yourself.

Bear you said it. My whole issue with getting a jon in the first place was because i was tired of bank fishing, looking accross the water and seeing a magnificient spread of lillies and cover, just out of reach. I imagine that no matter how my first build turns out, the major point will be that I will be out on the water, able to move around and fish those spots i've been drooling over. Thanks for the insight.

You're welcome Hooky. I'm working on a 14' Starcraft and even though I've worked on boats in the past, this is my 1st tinboat. I've found a lot of info on this site and everyone has been great. I hope you will be posting some pictures.

Speaking of pics... Bear, (or anyone else) could you tell me how to post one? I don't see a "browse" for image button on the top of the post page... Hmmmm... Clicked on "Img", but it didn't allow me to browse for the photos. It just put "" in the body of the text. Thanks.

Let me try something...

Ok - read the FAQ's. Guess I have to have it posted on a website first. That'll put a delay in the pics. Sorry. If anyone can think of an easier way, please let me know and I will throw them up ASAP.

I used both methods as well, the smaller pieces just got stapled - no glue.

I'm an accountant and managed to get most of my boat done by myself. It takes a vision to get started though. My father-in-law helped a couple of days just because he saw me in a time crunch and also I think he wanted to go fishing :)

As to pictures, can you use the gallery here, look under the search bar on the right. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how it works. I just load mine on my webpage and link them here.

Wasilvers - thanks for the advice on the small pieces. Makes a ton of sense. And I know what you are saying about your Father-in-law. My brother-in-law is the same way. Also, my brother is coming down to FL from Ohio in a month and he said I better have it done so we can go bass fishing on Lake Okeechobee. Time crunches for all of us.

As for the pics - thanks, I'll try that. I don't have a website, so I can't go that route. I tried to upload from the Post a Reply Page, and it says my imaging is uploading, but it takes me to "webpage can not be displayed" afterward. I'll keep trying....

If you want to take a look at my build here Ouachita 18x48 build you might find something that will help. I take and post lots of pictures. :mrgreen: I used Glue and staples not much worry of it coming loose that way. I glued everything even the smaller pieces with out much surface area.

Very nice build codeman. very clean. Pics gave me some ideas. Though, I'm afraid you have a lot more handy experience than I. Your boat looks really professional. I'm just glad mine will float!

Hooky1420 said:
Very nice build codeman. very clean. Pics gave me some ideas. Though, I'm afraid you have a lot more handy experience than I. Your boat looks really professional. I'm just glad mine will float!

You can do it, nothing real hard about any of it. Do lots of reading, measuring and thinking before you do anything.

Hooky1420 said:
Ok - read the FAQ's. Guess I have to have it posted on a website first. That'll put a delay in the pics. Sorry. If anyone can think of an easier way, please let me know and I will throw them up ASAP.

You should have an area under the Post A Replay called "Upload Attachment". Simply click on the Browse button and locate the file on your PC, then click the "Add the File" button. This will upload the file to tinboats.net. After it is uploaded, you will see a box under where you type your message that says "Place Inline". Simply select the file you uploaded from the drop down list and click "Place Inline" and it will insert the photo to your post.

Hope this helps.

When I did the carpet on my decking, I used glue and staples underneath.

For the glue I used 3M's Hi Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. Lowes and Home Depot sell it.

For the Carpet I used Lowes Outdoor Carpet. I was looking for Marine Carpet, but apparently Lowes and Home Depot no longer sell it near me. I suggest finding the carpet you want to use at a store first, then find out what size the sell it in. If I recall correctly, Lowes sells it by the roll in 6ft widths. Once you know the size the carpet some in, measure out all the pieces you you need, I added 12 inches to each piece to give enough to wrap around the edge of the wood and then underneath. 12 inches was a little overkill, but I like to have extra room to work with. Once you have the pieces measured out you can figure out what size carpet you need.

Also, I used a big peice of plywood on the ground as a working surface to attach, stretch and staple the carpet to the decking.

Here is a pic of my working area.
4508869195_ac3305311b.jpg

For more pic's click here

Nevillizer said:
Welcome aboard. I would suggest a mixture of both. As far as brand of carpet glue, one is just as good as the next. What I did on my old 1436 was cut the carpet to size of the deck/floor. I would staple the lip on one side of the underside of the deck/floor. Then flip it over. I would then apply the glue generously to the wood surface. I would then stretch the carpet tight as possible over the glue covered wood. Then once it was stretched tight I would begin stapling it down the lip opposite of where I started. Then staple the remaining edges. For a clean look the staples would only be on the underside portion of the carpeted surface.
Thats exactly what i did, looks the cleanest and holds! don't forget stainless staples......$$$$$=D>

Robr3004 - Thanks for the tip and the product placement on the spray adhesive. I actually checked out your build earlier, which gave me a great idea on how to do the bow - that was really stumping me. I've priced the carpet at Home Depot and Lowes - very comparable - like 0.49 a sq.ft. The idea with the plywood workspace is a good one too, but I will probably just do it on my driveway.

As for the photos, you are right about the file upload, but everytime I try to upload it gives me an error for some reason.. Of course that may be because I am trying to upload from my office computer and not from my home computer. Guess the powers to be are telling me I should actually be doing work when I am at work! :LOL2:

Going on the idea that there are no dumb questions... Is there a way of securing the carpeted plywood to the frame without having to screw in overtop the carpeting? Screwing in over the carpeting would obviously work, but I don't see too many photos on here with people doing that (carpeting with the screws showing). I would like the screws to be hidden beneath the carpet, but how is that possible if you carpet all the pieces first, and then put it on the boat? If you put the decking on the boat first and then carpet over, it wouldn't seem possible to staple the carpet to the underside if it is already secured. PLEASE HELP!!!!

If you look at mine you'll never find the screws in the pics but they are all through the carpet. Just make sure the screws are painted/ coated for outdoor use.

Latest posts