Looking for stable boat for grandkids

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredff

Reaction score
Hello,
I went to a family cookout last weekend and my cousin lives on a lake. She has a ski boat and we took my grandkids out as they have never been on a boat (ages 5 & 7). They have bugged me since asking when I am going to buy a boat for us to fish in. I explained to them the difference (and showed them pics) between a ski boat and fishing boat. My question is how stable is a boat like this I saw here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14069

Is a V hull good for 2 rambunctious kids that may or may not sit still, that has or can have a floor installed? I also will stick to the restricted 9.9 and electric lakes in my state. I have looked at many V like the older Sylvan's and alumacraft's, that have the built-in storage, live well etc, but usually have 25HP motors. Would a ??x48 jon work better for my needs?

Any help appreciated

tb

My experience with kids says you need the widest and least cluttered boat. I suggest you keep it simple until you see how much they like it and how they act on the water. This site proves that you can take a simple boat and improve it to the nth degree. Hope you have fun.

The most stable?...I'd actually say stay away from a v-hull or jon and go with a livingston or sorenson model boat. Although they're a fiberglass hull :shock: they're made to be very stable. I remember the old ads for them that you could saw the boat right down the middle and either half would still float. With the 2 keels, one on either side, it acts like a pontoon boat. Even in a small 8' you can still stand almost anywhere in the boat without much rocking. Here's what they look like:

livingston-12_top__bottom.jpg

Latest posts