N00b questions and tips...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etothepii

Reaction score
Hi. Great website!!!!
I own a 12 foot flat bottom Jon boat, that I bought for $125, with a small trolling motor, and I would like to customize it a bit. The bottom is 36 inches across. It has 2 benches. The ribs go across the bottom, but DO NOT angle up the sides. I don't know the brand. The only manufacturer's mark on the boat is a sticker that says "Big Jon." This boat may have been built as far back as the 60's. Just not sure.

The bottom is fairly dinged up, and most of the rivets leak :(

My thought is to remove the rear bench and replace with a swivel seat, deck the floor, and add a deck up at the bow (maybe 2 - 3 feet in length) with a swivel chair. Overall, I don't want to add too much weight up high. Most of the added wood will be on the floor of the boat.

I plan on keeping the middle bench, as this boat will be rowed, at least at first. A seat could be added to the bench later on, if/when a motor is purchased. I can't see a seat holding up too well when your body is going through the rowing action.

My questions primarily revolve around the leaky rivets, and removing the rear bench.

Can the rivets be repaired (hammering with a metal brace on the other side)? Or should they just be replaced? If so, what is used. Not pop rivets, right? So what will they be called when I go shopping?

Will removing the rear bench be a problem structurally? If not, then do I drill out the rivets, remove the bench, and plug the holes with new rivets? I have access to low cost welding help. Can the holes be plugged that way, or is that too potentially damaging the the boat's strength?

As far as attaching the deck, I guess angle aluminum will be added to the ribs with screws, and the wood deck is attached to the aluminum with screws, then carpet glued on that to hide the screws. Is that the general process?

OK, many more questions come to mind, but I'll not overdo it on my first post.

Thanks in advance!!!

Here's a pic of what I'm thinking of emulating, except for the middle bench:

Dscf0121.jpg

etothepii said:
Here's a pic of what I'm thinking of emulating, except for the middle bench:

....and perhaps the blue carpet :LOL2:

You might want to think about leaving the back bench in, taking out your middle bench and putting your swivel seat about 2/3 of the way up front. That will keep you from building a deck on the front. For the leaks, try rebucking the rivets and following that up with a good two coats of steelflex. Good luck and have fun.

Yeah, gray carpet, not blue. Would the swivel chair stand up to rowing?

Bucking the rivets ... short term solution, or would they last long term?

Froggy said:
Listen, if you gotta row, keep the middle bench, thats why I kept it, made a compartment, sit on it while rowing. 8)

My thoughts exactly :)

When I did my 1236 I put a seat mount on the front deck. I used it once and never again. I was in the boat by myself and when I sat that far to the front the back end came up so high that the boat pivoted around like the front was on an axle. Every time there was the slightest breeze the boat went spinning. Also, the boat is too narrow to feel good about sitting that high up.

finished1.jpg

finishedinterior.jpg

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with the front seat. By the way, that's a nice job someone did on the photo you posted. Do you know who and whether they have their modifications posted somewhere?

Do you know who and whether they have their modifications posted somewhere?

It's on the Hydrilla Gorrila website. Not sure if they have a reputation around here, but basically, they sell an e-book on how to do what you guys do here. With so much free information, buying a book doesn't make sense to me.